brine shrimp

oakes

hi,

i've switched to shell less brine shrimp thinking that it would be better for the fry without all those shells floating around but have found that the hatch rate has dropped from about 80% or 90% to about 50%. It also seems to take about twice as long for most of them to hatch- up to 48 hrs at 24deg.C...Is this normal? Should i treat shell-less differently?

Glenn

You're results are basically the opposite of what is 'expected'. They should hatch more easily (they don't have to break through the shell, which is were most of them get stuck) and faster. Is there any difference in the grade quality of the BS? If not, you can always just feed them rinsed and unhatched.

Glenn,

While Moruya is further south then me, I've tried finding decapsulated BS around Wollongong and non-of the LFS's seem to have any. Where'd you get your's from? In what form do they come, frozen?

Anyone else know where they can be purchased, including the Sponsors, and under what name (eg. Brand) they're sold? I've done saerches on their pages and none of their product descriptions are precisely clear in saying if they're decapsulated.

p.

Well thanks for that info, if I can feed them without hatching it saves a lot of trouble.

They come in a small bottle suspended in liquid. I got them from my LFS. Actually it was the only bottle they had so I will be looking for an online supplier myself.

The brand is NT Labs, product called ‘Artemia Revolution’.

I found the product on their website here:

http://www.ntlabs.co.uk/product_details.php?product_id=69

cheers

Archived