Electric yellows + oscar

Ash

Here are some pics of some of the nicer yellows I found locally....

user posted image

user posted image

And some of the not so nice (IMO) Excuse the blue in the pics, had to brighten them up digitally & as you can see, I'm not too good at photo editing! blush.gif

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

This is why I'm going to the trouble of getting some shipped, because the vast majority of the stock up here is like the last 3 pics, whereas most of the photos I see from people on this forum are more like the "good" ones in the first two pics.

Please excuse my lack of photography skill. laugh.gif

Couple of other shots I took...

The std 4' I'm planning on breeding the yellows in (not the ones I don't like, they are being donated to a buddy's non breeding tank)

user posted image

Also, my new oscar. I haven't seen one his size (~25cm) for ages with that much orange on him still, so when I saw him I had to get him! tongue.gif

user posted image

So, opinions on the yellows - am I too picky? If I had fry coming out looking like those first few I'd cull them personally. What do you guys think?

Cheers

Ash

Hey

very touchy subject E.yellows are about there colours either being vibrant or washed out forms. In my colony of yellows i have one gilr who has white on her so the fry that she produces i do not kepp or sell.

The first couple of pics are nice yellows but the last couple are a little washed out IMO.

Also i guess its personal preference and if your in it for the money it will also be what sells the best.

HTH

Cameron

It should be noted that there are a couple of naturally occuring colour morphs of L.caeruleus and that the word caeruleus actually means blue. The following fish are all L. caeruleus:

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

(I actually really like the white morph)

IMO the pics of the not-so-good E.yellows reinforce what YeW is saying in the general discussion forum about careful breeding for colour and is the result of mixing different morphs, or not paying enough attention of what morphs we actually have here, and breeding for quantity and not quality. Maybe more attention should be made to try and identify possible morphs and try to isolate them...

To me, it also highlights the need for correct naming. I.e. the very yellow L. caeruleus should be named as L. caeruleus 'electric yellow', and the whites as something like L. caeruleus 'white' etc

It should be noted that there are a couple of naturally occuring colour morphs of L.caeruleus and that the word caeruleus actually means blue. The following fish are all L. caeruleus:

IMO the pics of the not-so-good E.yellows reinforce what YeW is saying in the general discussion forum about careful breeding for colour and is the result of mixing different morphs, or not paying enough attention of what morphs we actually have here, and breeding for quantity and not quality. Maybe more attention should be made to try and identify possible morphs and try to isolate them...

http://www.aceforums.com.au/index.php?show...=23659&hl=blue#

I have said much the same thing here.

I think it is subjective and purely quantative of human opinion that Lab. caeuleus should conform to something pleasing to the eye.

Frankly I find Lab. freibergi a much better "looking" fish. But as many things EY's are sold as a market thng because both females and males sustain beautiful colouration.

Quality of a fish can go much further then "colour". I prefer a fish show a healthy and robust physical condition rather then colour but in EY's the whole reason they are popular is because of the "colour" so breeding poorly coloured specimens is a defeatist attitude.

That first pic of the Lab. caerleus looks very much like Lab. chisumulae. Usually the blue morph of caeruleus doesnt have the prominant marking through the head and dorsal.

Archived