Eel Tailed Cats

Snoozie

Hi again,

Well i've been bitten by the cat bug wub.gif and am now collecting all possible specimens LOL.gif

Just picked up one of these guys today from the lfs...Didn't know anything about them but when I got home did a little research. Couldn't find much but what i did find made me wonder..Says they are Aussie Natives? Also was not too specific on how large they grow in an Aquarium and whether I can keep them alright with other tank mates.

So I'm wondering if anyone had kept or is keeping one of these guys and can fill me in..... thumbup.gif

I think there are 2-4 varieties of eel-tailed catfish native to Australia. The largest variant (Tandanus tandanus) grows to well over 4kg and about 60+cm. Then there are the smaller eel-tail species Porochilus sp and Neosilurus sp. All of them tend to have the same characteristics and can be even kept with some of the more aggressive aquarium fish (ie Mangrove Jacks) as long as they are of suitable size. They might start preying on smaller fish as they grow, especially at night as they become more active dusk onwards. I've kept a few eel-tail species before and they ALL love earthworms smile.gif

I think there are 2-4 varieties of eel-tailed catfish native to Australia.  The largest variant (Tandanus tandanus) grows to well over 4kg and about 60+cm.  Then there are the smaller eel-tail species Porochilus sp and Neosilurus sp.  All of them tend to have the same characteristics and can be even kept with some of the more aggressive aquarium fish (ie Mangrove Jacks) as long as they are of suitable size.  They might start preying on smaller fish as they grow, especially at night as they become more active dusk onwards.  I've kept a few eel-tail species before and they ALL love earthworms  smile.gif

OH!!! shock.gif

How do I know if I have one of the smaller species...It's kind of a golden colour and quite small at the moment ~ 6-7cm. Will it eat blood fin tetras??? They are the smallest fish in my tank.

He's really cool but if he's gonna eat my other fish I may have to look at rehoming him.

Any chance of a picture? I've found that the colour isn't a very definitive characteristic to differentiate between the species. I've caught a few tandanus in the local dams and rivers and they've varied in colour with the habitat.

I don't think a tetra exists that this guy won't chow down on! laugh.gif

Cool fish, I want to get a larger one to keep with my salmontail & big CAs

Hi,

This is the best pic I have of him at the moment...cute little guy. Tetras are all still there at present LOL.gif

user posted image

Be interested to know what species this guy is...he might have to get a tank of his own thumbup.gif

Archived