how to make it difficult for beginners

catcher

Hi all,

The other day I noticed a new pet shop had opened up not far from my place so I thought I'd drop in and see what they had. As I walked in I saw quite a few tanks so I thought, beauty, these guys could be a good thing in the area.

The obligitry Goldies, weed and bits an pieces, then over on one side were tropicals. I think out of about eight tanks, the species were very roughly correct in two, They did have a new fish species no.gif called a Rose Stratus. Note the nice break in the name and capitals used. Now, that was amusing to me as I kinda guessed what they meant (the rostratus juvies were correct at least). But, when a couple of young girls came in looked at the tanks and asked the guy could they have two or three of those nice "little" dotted Rose Stratus in there fish bowl at home he said no problem, but they will grow a bit bigger than what they are now.

AAAAAHHHHHHHHH, then I thought what hope has any beginner got with this kind of info getting around. Mind you the poor Rosti's proberly wouldn't live for any lengthy time anyway. They didn't buy then but were going home to check to see if it's ok with mum. I sort of walked out with them and just happened to mention that those fish need big tanks and grow to about 30cm. I don't know if they will take that on board but as I said before, what hope have any beginners.

Glenn

Yes..I agree that alot of Pet Shops give bad advice. I myself have fallen victim to this. I now have a tank full of "pairs" as I was told they would be better kept as such (cichlids) when really I need to keep groups. And now I am experiencing Cichlid agression at it's best. tongue.gif

Not to mention the old "sure..they will be fine in a community setup" when really they are just that little bit too agressive to be okay with the other fish. Another good one I've heard is "Electic Yellows are in our goldfish, coldwater section but they will adapt to tropical water" to which I nearly died, knowing full well that they are a tropical fish! Poor little things...Of course they will adapt! They are supposed to be kept at that temp.

Having said all this though, I have also had the pleasure of receiving really good advice from people who work at a lfs and actually know about the species they are talking about.

It's pot luck and unless you do some research before buying, as a beginner you'd know no different. wink2.gif

I never never take advice from LFS in regards to Fish or anything else until i have done some research first, cause then you know if they are on the right track or not and seeing there are a lot of bad advice out there you are better of doing research on here or the net so you get unbiased advice,

I once saw a LFS down south from where i am saying to a guy a fronty , a JD and a texas cichlid would go ok in a 3 footer????? ur kidding i just remember looking and laughing

Hey glenn, I agree that some of the stuff you hear coming from some staff is just about laughable. The worst part is that it happens at places alot of hobbiest would consider "reputable" stores aswell. I was a large store in melbourne recently who have a good reputation and just out of interest i thought id ask them for a reccomendation on a staple food (fed several times a day) for EY's, Peacocks, rustys etc. They reccomended i try OSI Blood Parrot Food. angry.gif

My not so local FS is happy for me to chat to any of there customers and give advice, they sponsor A2F but he also trusts my knowledge and ethics and often directs people over to me to have a chat while im loitering in hes shop LOL To me thats a sign of someone who wants the best for there customers, not to only feed them the business line so to speak. I think Pet Shops are the worse offenders but unfortunatly it happens at the better shops too. zipit.gif

Cheers Andy

Hi all,

The other day I noticed a new pet shop had opened up not far from my place so I thought I'd drop in and see what they had. As I walked in I saw quite a few tanks so I thought, beauty, these guys could be a good thing in the area.

The obligitry Goldies, weed and bits an pieces, then over on one side were tropicals. I think out of about eight tanks, the species were very roughly correct in two, They did have a new fish species  no.gif called a Rose Stratus. Note the nice break in the name and capitals used. Now, that was amusing to me as I kinda guessed what they meant (the rostratus juvies were correct at least). But, when a couple of young girls came in looked at the tanks and asked the guy could they have two or three of those nice "little" dotted Rose Stratus in there fish bowl at home he said no problem, but they will grow a bit bigger than what they are now.

AAAAAHHHHHHHHH, then I thought what hope has any beginner got with this kind of info getting around. Mind you the poor Rosti's proberly wouldn't live for any lengthy time anyway. They didn't buy then but were going home to check to see if it's ok with mum. I sort of walked out with them and just happened to mention that those fish need big tanks and grow to about 30cm. I don't know if they will take that on board but as I said before, what hope have any beginners.

Glenn

Hey where about's is this lovelly fish shop located LOL.gifwoot.gif

Maybe they'll try and sell me a Nemo (occellaris clown) for my goldfish bowl woot.gifwoot.gif

Hi all,

The obligitry Goldies, weed and bits an pieces, then over on one side were tropicals. I think out of about eight tanks, the species were very roughly correct in two, They did have a new fish species  no.gif called a Rose Stratus. Note the nice break in the name and capitals used. Now, that was amusing to me as I kinda guessed what they meant (the rostratus juvies were correct at least). But, when a couple of young girls came in looked at the tanks and asked the guy could they have two or three of those nice "little" dotted Rose Stratus in there fish bowl at home he said no problem, but they will grow a bit bigger than what they are now.

Glenn

Hey where about's is this lovelly fish shop located LOL.gifwoot.gif

Maybe they'll try and sell me a Nemo (occellaris clown) for my goldfish bowl woot.gifwoot.gif

No, sorry waterboy, no naming on the forum, I don't want to cause any undue grief for anyone.

Small pet shops ALWAYS sell the 4-5cm Oscars as community fish.

Only a month ago i overheard a lfs tell a family that the 4cm oscar will be fine with their neon tetras.

I nearly fell over. :woot:

Jaymes

Lol technically they would be fine , and they would be even finer in his belly a few weeks from now

Small pet shops ALWAYS sell the 4-5cm Oscars as community fish.

Only a month ago i overheard a lfs tell a family that the 4cm oscar will be fine with their neon tetras.

I nearly fell over. :woot:

Jaymes

I worked in a "reputable" LFS for 6 years. You wouldnt beleive the stuff I heard customers tell me that another pet shop said it would be alright.

I used to LOVE showing our 6x2x2 with our pair of 30-40cm Red Oscars in it and say "Thats what your little Oscar will turn into. Let me just say that while your little man doesnt NOW eat your fish. He will."

Actually another really common one was selling neons and electric yellows for cold water tanks.

There are so many other nice temperate fish like White Clouds/Danios/Bitterlings/Certain Barbs why would you do something stupid like kill a bunch of nice tropicals just to loose return business?

People WANT to know the right thing. They also appreciate it when you explain the natural habitat and why certain fish are more tolerant then others and why neons DONT go in coldwater/bowls.

Get one customer to listen to a logical truth that cant be misproven and they think your an expert tell one lie and they think you are a schmuck.

THe question here is, is it neglegence or just plain ignorance?

The owner of one of Australias premier aquariums said to me one day," all your customers have to do is be able to keep their fish alive and all else will look after its self". Bloody good words, I live by them. In the scheme of things selling 3 little Fossys is neither here nor there, looking silly is significant.

Craig.

I had some one my sisters friends out here the other week wanting to buy some sualosi's to put in a 2 foot tank, she wanted a nice little planted 2 footer, i told her to get some neons and what not, so she went to the LFS, got some neons and asked if angels would be fine with them, of cause they said "they" will do very well LOL.gif . Now she said, "some how all the fish except the angel is dead" i just laughed LOL.gif

Also, i like the "mixed peacocks" that one LFS here has for sale

Archived