Starting Out

bungholio

I am new to cichlids, i currently have mollies and platies in an 18 inch tank, but im going to buy a 5 foot tank soon, what kind of cichlids should i buy to put in it as i dont know alot about them, eventually i want some convicts, an oscar or a green terror but for starters what would you recommend? huh.gif and what should i put in the tank to keep the ph at a good level, i know driftwood raises your pH but thats all lol.

Thanks, from a new member very interested in cichlids,

Adam

Convicts are a cheap easily bred fish and would make a good starting fish. Oscars are great fish but kinda have this thing for eating whatever fits into their mouth. My green terror has quite a character (does not like people getting to close to his side of the tank). I can see you keeping all these fish in the same tank and having alota fun with it.

The good thing about starting with cichlids in a 5 footer you basically have no limitations you could keep either 2 or 3 large americans with dithers or you could go with an african community the possibilities are endless with a tank of that size . Benno

Correction - Driftwood lowers your Ph mate. A pair of convicts is a good fish to start off with, it'll breed and breed and breed and that'll get you deeper into the hobby. You'll then need tanks for fry hehe then few more tanks for more of your favourite cichlids. Go Americans smile.gif We need more of them here on this board. With the convicts, maybe another pair of Americans? Depends on your filtration too.

Id say go to a good lfs that stocks sufficient numbers of cichlids, have a look at what they got and what you like ask a whole lotta q's (try and make it a hassle for them and if they are a good lfs they'll usually help you in whatever way possible), See what they say and if your not quite sure ask on here thats what this place is for, I never even knew that cichlids really existed b4 i came here and now know what to ask the lfs and if im worried there is a number of people on here that know so much, And are more than willing to help a newbie( such as myself) out!

biggrin.giflaugh.gifbiggrin.gif

Thats just my opinion of the lfs though!

Archived