White substance on suction caps

Falcon

Hi,

when cycling my tanks a white mucus blush.gif like substance forms on the suctions caps in the tank.

Does anyone know why this occurs and can it be avoided? As soon as I go to remove the caps to clean them it dislodges and fouls the tanks.

Jim

i get this on my suction caps and my tanks been going for years dont worry i belive it is just a buildup of dirt or something minor like that HTH. Benno biggrin.gif

Depends on the 'rubber' the suction caps are made from.

You will find it happens more in new set-ups than in older ones, IME, and moreso in ph 7 and lower (American and Discus tanks), again IME.

If you don't like the look, just clean it off. It's harmless AFAIK.

Cheers - OziOscar.

I had the same problem when I was starting out, and I beleive it go's away in time, it won't harm your fish or anything, it could be some kind of algea, you can gently take the caps out and clean them, you don't want the build up swimming aroud in your tank either even though it doesn't harm fish.

My bristlenose catfish's work hard around the caps so I don't really see any build up of it anymore. tongue.gif

i also get the white scummy stuff on the suction caps and on the vinyl tubing for the canister filter the bristle noses, and foai seem to like it though....oh and mine is pH 8.4, so i think it just likes to grow on vinyl fittings!

Hi Jim,

I had this stuff in my tank too. It went away after a few months, and never bothered the fish. The tank was pH 7.0ish. You could probly give the suction caps a real good wash in hot water till there squeeky clean to see if that helps reduce the white stuff. But I never had any fish get sick from it. wink.gif

Ed.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Its good to know it harmless, which I suppose was my main worry.

I'll give them a scrub in hot water and see if it minimises in future, mainly to stop it fouling the tank.

Regards/Jim

If you have a BN in that tank, just leave it and it will disappear like magic. smile.gif

Cheers - OziOscar.

Archived