Test Kits?

Cichlabxr

Hey martin,

Ive got one that comes in a greenbox, its called something like "Aquarium Master Test Kit" and it seems alot of stores stock them. They are like the complete kit to test for everything but having a read of this topic here:

(Must be a member to view)

http://addicted2fish.invisionzone.com/inde...?showtopic=2424

You may be better to just buy them seperatley. It seems alot of people own test kits and never use them (i havent touched mine in years), just some food for thought....

Cheers Andy

Thanks gents. After reading that link I must agree I am in the same boat as most of them. I use Prime for my tapwater because sometimes you can almost smell the chlorine in it. Certaintly ruins the taste of your coffee.

I have a pH Pen which like yours Mike needs regular calibrating. Could you let me know where you got the one for hardness and approx how much they cost.

Thanks Martin

Mike, is TDS directly related to GH?

-Mat-

Try AOA for their Hardness test kits. I haven't seen em cheaper.

Hey nice link Mike, I forgot about this thread - the science behind the bother. I wonder if my fish know about the number of Ions and conductivity of the home they live in? LOL.gif

"We also examined how our fish are able to pump water and other small molecules across their cell membranes, in order to match the concentration of solutes within their cells to the concentration of solutes outside of their cells. "

. . . oh, so my fish DO know number Ions and conductivity of their home!

(well I'll be a monkey's uncle)

Not a bad website you found there by the way. I've just added to my favorites.

I use the Hagen test kits for most stuff, but I find the pH & NH3/4 NO2 & NO3 ones to be a bit vague with the colour chart. pH is the worst where it appears to read too low for the high range kit yet it reads too high on the low range kit! (these kits overlap by a 1/2 a point too, so it shouldn't be able to do that)

GH & KH aren't a problem, being the titration sort, no idea what their accuracy is?

cool b'nanas

so what are peoples opinons on the digital kits? are they worth the money, quality wise

unless you are buying 'lab. quality' digital pens [$$$'s] i don't consider the hobby

level pens consistantly accurate enough.they need calibrating far too often and burn up batteries at an alarming rate.

i can do tests on any number of tanks much quicker using good ol' test kits, and be confident that the readings are accurate

test kits do have a shelf life at room temp, look for a long use by date on the box

and store them in the bottom of the fridge

cheers; C

Guest parallel
so what are peoples opinons on the digital kits? are they worth the money, quality wise

unless you are buying 'lab. quality' digital pens [$$$'s] i don't consider the hobby

level pens consistantly accurate enough.they need calibrating far too often and burn up batteries at an alarming rate.

i can do tests on any number of tanks much quicker using good ol' test kits, and be confident that the readings are accurate

test kits do have a shelf life at room temp, look for a long use by date on the box

and store them in the bottom of the fridge

cheers; C

Colfish,

So you have to store the test kit on the bottom of the fridge?

Man, I store my test kit in the drawer and my unit reach temps of 30 degree average even today which is not that hot.

I better go and store it in the fridge now.

You learn something everyday.

Cheers

Hilton

Archived