Estherae

ejg

Yeah I'd also like to know a bit more about them. I didn't know we had the variant here. I thought our estherae pool was the puulu and metangula.

Do the blue / red estherae have a locality?

I think there are 7 locations where M. estherae females display the O morph. Some locations only some females show this particular morph whereas at Minos Reef and Nkhungu the entire female population are completely red. There are also some populations that also have the OB morph. It is quite possible that the fish at the auction were from Metangula gene pool as it is one of the populations that O morph females are found.

I was under the impression that the Tangerines (from metangula) we have here are the light orange for both male and female?

The fish from last weeks auction were mine i put two colonies in of 2 males and 3 females, i do not know the location i thought they were all the same.They are rare, as the estherae we have or had were all orange but were originally the blue morph but orange males started turning up and people prefered to breed just the orange colour. These would be F2 as far as i know, only 1 colony came in i think??.

John

Back to nature guide. Pseudotropheus estherae Minos Reef

Archived