Genetics question?

Cichlabxr

Hi,

My colony consists of 1 male and 5 females. The females are all OB. I was wondering if anyone knew the odds of them throwing either an OB male or a normal solid female. Some of the OBs from the latest batch have the distintive red edging to their dorsal fin. Also some are a bluey brown but I'm not sure if they are just sub dominant males? Mind you there are a few well coloured males amongst the batch. Any advice appreciated.

Regards Martin

The OB phenotype is dominant over the BB (blue with black bar pattern). It is also sexlinked to a certain extent with the majority of females displaying the OB pattern. That is not to say that you can not get an OB male but the chances are greatly reduced. In your case is the male out of the same bloodline as the females because there will be an increase in the likelihood of OB females.

Thanks for the replies. I looked up Punnet Squares!! After a mini biology lecture (I needed a glossary for all the terms lol). I understand a bit more.

Ged the male is from a different bloodline. ( Just thought got him from a different source but can't be sure its s different bloodline)The latest batch had about 60:40 males to females. None of the female parents have the egg spots and I have a couple of OBs with egg spots but will have to wait until I can vent sex. I also have one OB that shows a blue hue through it.

Thanks Martin

Archived