new filter for standard 4' tank

rosco

Hi all,

I am considering buying a new filter for my "death" tank (see the discussion on stertilising a tank). I have a fluval 304 for it and I have found it good until something like a power outage occurs then problems tend to occur.

I have been considering a hang-on filter but I am unsure how quite they are. It needs to be quite as it is inside house and it will upset the family (well Mrs Rossco) if it makes any noise. I will go with another cannister over a hang-on if for no other reason than the noise.

The tank, once cycled, will probably have a small colony of calvus or black occies and something else in so I am keen on over filteration. What filteration would you recommend and what brands (eg AC, Fluval, ehiem).

thanks

Rosco

I'm currently using a AQ500 and a fluval 4 plus in my 4x2x2 of eartheaters.

If you need the AQ500 to be quiet you'd have to fill the tank all the way up and even then, it'll still be 'noisier' than the canisters.

I just bought an Eheim 2217 off ebay, picking it up tonight. I'll be replacing the AQ500 with the Eheim, as like yourself, its in the family room and its just a little too noisy for my liking. I'll keep you posted on the results.

Cheers,

James

air driven side drop.

You can over filter as much as you like, their as quiet as the air pump you put on them and they dont present a problem when the power goes out. They are also a lot cheaper than cannisters and hobs

Bob

Don't you have to build side drops though?

yeah, but he has the tank stripped down for a major clean, so no worries.

Rosco

if that's all you are going to have in a 4ftr, i think the fluval will cope with no probs

i run 1 on a 4x18 with a few more fish than that.

only around a power out is to use a UPS

cheers; C

If it's bacteria die-off during blackouts that is the drama, any cannister or HOB for that matter will have the same problems.

Wet/dry's give a little more time, but not much.

Look into a UPS if power outages are a drama.

Don't you have to build side drops though?

yeah, but he has the tank stripped down for a major clean, so no worries.

Rosco

if that's all you are going to have in a 4ftr, i think the fluval will cope with no probs

i run 1 on a 4x18 with a few more fish than that.

only around a power out is to use a UPS

cheers; C

hahahaha yeah true, it will be easier to build it then bigsmile.gif

the only reason I wouldn't go the side drop is that it could make the tank look ugly since it is a "house" tank.

I would use the Canister filter as well. If you want some additional filtration why not buy an internal filter. I picked one up from AOA for about $35. It is 1200l/hr turnover, I replaced the filter media with just filter wool and use it predominantly for mechanical filtration (ie I wash the filter wool regularly).

If you are worried about the current then aim the output into a rock and break it up.

HTH

Jason

Archived