Intake/Outtake tubing on filter

steve24cro

Hi

As you remember I am tryin to build my own canister filter, im just wondering what size tubing should i use, water flow will be around 3800lph (pump rated at that). I was going to use 1 inch (25mm) for intake and outtake...just wondering if the intake and outtake should be same size or differ?

Eheim 2260 for example has 1 inch intake and 5/8 inch outtake? Does it matter? Should one be larger...

Thanks for any help

Hi

As you remember I am tryin to build my own canister filter, im just wondering what size tubing should i use, water flow will be around 3800lph (pump rated at that). I was going to use 1 inch (25mm) for intake and outtake...just wondering if the intake and outtake should be same size or differ?

Eheim 2260 for example has 1 inch intake and 5/8 inch outtake? Does it matter? Should one be larger...

Thanks for any help

Having a larger intake allows more water flow to occur with gravity, generally it is better to have a larger intake, for convienience I would still have the same hose size for output. Don't use a too small output though, it puts further pressure on the pump.

Oh and 25mm tubing should be fine, but it doesn't hurt to get something a little larger. Try to get industry standard sizes though, makes it sooo much easier to get parts.

Cheers

keep the return as short as practicle with no sharp bends/elbows and

match the return tube to the outlet of the pump. this way you will have

no back pressure problems and still have the flow/pressure that the pump was designed for.

if you need to have bends/elbows and excessive lenghts of tubing, use the next size up

Archived