glass strong enough

mr troph

A friend of mine works in the glass industry, conveineant ha

Any way I asked him if he could build me a 6*2*2 as he has built tanks before he has a 5*3*3 constructed from 10mm safety glass. However he is planning on building mine from 6.8mm safety glass. Sounds a bit on the small side for a tank of that size but he assures me it will be fine hes only charging me $200 for it. What do you reckon?

Also I am planning on housing 40 Tropheus of 1 or 2 species so I need good filtration 50% water changers will be performed weekly. A sump would probably be the best but I don't want to pay for one to be installed or muck around with one myself. Would a Fluval FX5 3500lph rated at up to 1500lph do the job?

Lighting.

What types of lighting equipment would be best for this tank to show of the fish and promote algea and not cost a fortune?

Todd.

He may be correct....but the thicker the glass the greater the safety margin.

What are the fish worth??

Safety glass won't crack and leak..if it goes it will explode

What damage would be done if the tank is bumped and explodes??

What are 40 dead Tropheus worth??

If it was me I'd spend a bit more on the tank and sleep better at night!

Best of Luck!

theres a few people on the forum who build tanks and may know better but imo id go for 10mm as its tried and tested ,but who knows safety glass may be the norm for tank building in the future

For the glass I would use at 10mm. (Safety glass dntknw.gif )

For the filter, nope the fluval is not enoughif you must go with cannisters go for at least two and one of those I would suggest using an eheim 2260. A home built sump is a lot cheaper though.

Lighting I would probably say twin 6ft fluros. Due to the budget restrictions.

cya Matthew

i wouldnt use safety glass, as people have said it doesnt crack, it shatters and you cant stop it doing that. Id go for a regular glass tank 10 or 12mm glass.

Problem is hes already began building the tank not sure were hes up to. Might have to get him to scale it down.

Do you recken it would be alright providing it didnt cop a fair nock?

Problem is hes already began building the tank not sure were hes up to. Might have to get him to scale it down.

Trouble is you can't cut safety glass.....it shatters!

Trouble is you can't cut safety glass.....it shatters!

Sorry matty but your wrong on that one. A fluval FX5 rated at 3500lph with a 1500 litre capacity is plenty.

Ben clap.gif

What’s the difference between Safety Glass and Normal glass? What makes you think it is stronger than normal glass? Toughened Glass I can understand but isn’t the only difference between safety glass and normal glass the way it shatters. One into small cubes and the other into sharp edged pieces?

Are you sure he didn’t build his 5x3x3 out of toughened glass?

An extract from an article on Glass

Toughened (Safety glass)

"Toughened glass is produced by applying a special treatment to ordinary float glass after it has been cut to size and finished. The treatment involves heating the glass so that it begins to soften (about 620 degrees C) and then rapidly cooling it. This produces a glass which, if broken, breaks into small pieces without sharp edges. The treatment does increase the surface tension of the glass which can cause it to 'explode' if broken; this is more a dramatic effect than hazardous.

It is important to note that the treatment must be applied only after all cutting and processing has been completed, as once 'toughened', any attempt to cut the glass will cause it to shatter.

Toughened glass is ideal for glazed doors, low level windows (for safety) and for tabletops (where it can withstand high temperature associated with cooking pots etc"

How many 6ft tanks do you see for sale with a cracked panel that has been repaired....I've seen quite a few.....

With normal glass a crack will leak and generally give time to save the occupants....which is not the case with a tank made of toughened/safety glass

I wouldn't take the risk with a large number of expensive fish....others might...and get away with it???

I called up today to check it out and he said its not toughend glass but has a material layer of some sort between to layers of glass. If it breaks it holds together rather the fracturing into tiny pieces. Hes going to test it for a couple of weeks before I buy It. His 5*3*3 is made from the same stuff but is thicker glass.

Thanks for all your thoughts. Ben expect a large order from me within the next few weeks if all goes swimmingly.

Thanks again Todd

What you are describing is laminated safety glass.

The only thing I would put in a tank made from safety glass is lizards or snakes.

mr Troph...great to see your plans for a tropheus colony(ies) is well under way! Remember to show us pics of your setup when u get it!

I have recently bought a Fluval FX5 for my 4 foot tank from AOA and it is amazing! Bear in mind that this tank also has a 2 foot sump, Eheim Prof II 2028, UV filter and Aqua Medic Nitrate reductor - sulphur/hydrocarbon reactors! I have noticed there is a lot less waste in the sump and the tank water is crystal clear. It is quite solidly built and great value for money! I highly recommend it. Only drawback is the inlet and outlet hosing is quite large and the holding clips are also large so it may be a tight squeeze behind the tank and hood.

U could always get 2 Prof IIIs!!! shock.gif

toughened glass ~3-5 times more impact resistance than float glass.. avoid it but.!

float glass is my choice, and has been for deacades by all tank manufactureers

laminate is only about 2/3 as strong as float glass, but gives you a sporting chance incase of an incident...

acrylic is also very safe but super soft and scratches when you look at it to harshly! wink2.gif

Archived