Can my floor support my tank - Update w/ pictures

spedwards

I know the stand we are looking at has 6 legs for the 4 and 5 foot lengths - this obviously helps with the weight distribution but the total weight will still be pretty high.

5' x 14" x 20" = 275L + 100KG of stuff is ~62KG per leg.

4' x 18" x 2' = 340L + 90KG of stuff is ~71KG per leg.

It's just all too much!

I managed to get some pics of the deep joists running across the garage roof through a whole for a gas and Foxtel outlet. They at 8" tall and on 12" centres (at a guess), they span about 7M with a steel beam running across them about half way. Unfortunately for me, these are parallel to the wall that I want to put the tank one - so all the weight will be support by only 2 of these.

This is looking down towards the end of the house where the tank would be:

user posted image

This is looking down the opposite direction:

user posted image

(The pest inspector is coming out tomorrow)

The bridging will obviously help to distribute the weight across mutiple joists, but I'm not going to risk a big tank. Maybe in my next home cryblow.gif

Thanks for all your help and comments guys!

Cheers

Jon

Jon,

With the joists as shown would probably normally deflect about 6 mm, with 5foot tank expext an extra 5-6 mm immediatly and an extra 12mm in about a years time, giveng total of about 18mm shock.gif .

If center tank over steel beam with middle leg directly over steel beam would be no problem as most load goes to middle legs (well over 1/2 the weight of the tank).

Probably wouldn't fall down regardless - just deflect a hell of a lot. Looks like a good size joist for the house.

Additionally timber boards over look like nice big size. Are they polished? They do help distribute the load (better than particl board).

Best I can do from here.

Steve

Thanks Steve, you've been a load of help! Due to other furniture in the room the tank won't be directly over the steel beam, but will be quite close. I'll be going for something pretty standard...

Is there a way to measure the deflection? Will measuring the distance between the floor boards and the ceiling give me a good idea of what's going?

The timber floor is polished, looks quite nice too.

I'll build a barrier fence around the tank to prevent people getting too close tongue.gif

I've cut the tank size down, it's still larger than standard but i'm allowing for the 4' x 18" x 2.5' to come at a later date by getting something that's 18" wide. It should arrive in the next couple of weeks.

We have a carpenter friend coming around tomorrow night, i think i'll start worrying if he's not keen on the idea.

does anyone know any engineers that will come out for a carton of beer?

tongue.gif

I've got a 6X2.5 and im getting nervous..

Randwick/Sydney tongue.gif

I know an electrical engineer that would do a lot of things for a case of beer - unfortunately he wouldn't be able to advise you (or me) on the problem at hand.

Archived