Brineshrimp preservation question?

gianniz

well i just left it in the brineshrimp hatcher that i made using the coke bottle, and within like 4-5 days the stupid monkeys have turned into eggs again!!! what da!

so what i am asking is there a way to keep them alive if not will they be still a good food for calvus frys?

also do they sell frozen baby brine shrimps at shops? are they small enough to be fed to calvus frys?

sorry for these never ending questions

Gianniz smile.gif ... yup sold in frozen blister pack's

in fishy shops mate wink.gif And the best storage place

after hatching is the belly of yer fry biggrin.gif ...

After 3 days yer "domestically hatched brine"

will need food ohmy.gif .... laugh.gif So it then becomes

a non-viable process of food for yer fry wink.gif ..

Good luck ..

Andy...

Ps... try ( POSAQUA ) frozen "BABY' Brine ...

The best time to feed artemia nauplii to fish fry is following hatching. It depends on the strain of artemia but hatching usually occurs between 18-24hours at 28oC. The nauplii then rely on their energy reserves, an instar 2 nauplii will have used between 25-30% of its energy reserves at 24 hours post hatching. "by storage of the freshly-hatched nauplii at a temperature below 10°C in densities of up to 8 million per liter. Only a slight aeration is needed in order to prevent the nauplii from accumulating at the bottom of the tank where they would suffocate. In this way nauplii can be stored for periods up to more than 24 h without significant mortalities and a reduction of energy of less than 5%." (Manual on the Production and Use of Live Food for Aquaculture)

I would certainly not keep them for upto 3 days outside of a fridge. You must also disinfect your cysts prior to hatching to reduce bacteria levels. Have a read of the link and you'll learn more than you ever wanted to about artemia.

Adam

Archived