How are evryones new apisotos doing

Noddy65

Mike,

Have had some losses with the trifasciata maclienses. Traced the problem down with food (they're cannot handle bloodworm too well, and will eat to their death). Fish looks fine the next morning after feed, but will died without any external sign in the following evening.

Ever since I've taken bloodworm as their primary diet (can handle some, but not excessive), the remaining seems to be well after that drama.

The remaining have also settled in nicely. The Inka50 I took are all females (the batch was mainly young female fish with only a handful male), all are doing well host in a tank with veijita, pandurini, agassizi and bitaeniata. The apistogrammoides is host in a seperate environment as they are not as agressive as the others. These are relatively young fish, can't tell the gender at the moment and none have coloured up yet.

As the trifasciata is adult fish, I might attempt to have a go breeding them soon. As for the rest, will have to wait for them to grow up a bit more.

Cheers,

Thomas.

Hi all

Now that people have had the new Apisots for a while i was wondering how they are all doing?

Mike

Hmm...very interesting point. I just acquired a few panduros, lost the lot in 3 days. I was feeding live blood worms as well, I wonder if that was the problem. They looked great, eating well etc and just died overnight.

Water parameters were all excellent.

Mike

Mike,

Have had some losses with the trifasciata maclienses. Traced the problem down with food (they're cannot handle bloodworm too well, and will eat to their death). Fish looks fine the next morning after feed, but will died without any external sign in the following evening.

Ever since I've taken bloodworm as their primary diet (can handle some, but not excessive), the remaining seems to be well after that drama.

The remaining have also settled in nicely. The Inka50 I took are all females (the batch was mainly young female fish with only a handful male), all are doing well host in a tank with veijita, pandurini, agassizi and bitaeniata. The apistogrammoides is host in a seperate environment as they are not as agressive as the others. These are relatively young fish, can't tell the gender at the moment and none have coloured up yet.

As the trifasciata is adult fish, I might attempt to have a go breeding them soon. As for the rest, will have to wait for them to grow up a bit more.

Cheers,

Thomas.

Hi all

Now that people have had the new Apisots for a while i was wondering how they are all doing?

Mike

sad.gifsad.gif

There seems to be a common practice in Germany where they've learnt not to feed bloodworm to apisto for years.

Aparently they've experience similar problem we're having now - lost of fish due to bloodworm orientated diet.

Now I've been feeding them with a variety of stuff (still have bloodworm, but the trifasciata are in the tank infested with corydora and the worm won't last in there so they gets less of them). No problem so far (over 2 weeks now). Just a note - veijita, macmasteri and bitaeniata don't seems to suffer the bloodworm problem as bad. My veijita juvenile just attack the worm until their belly is inflated everyday and so far there hasn't been any casualty with them.

Another word - no or reduced bloodworm in the diet to be safe.

Cheers,

Thomas.

Hmm...very interesting point. I just acquired a few panduros, lost the lot in 3 days. I was feeding live blood worms as well, I wonder if that was the problem. They looked great, eating well etc and just died overnight.

Water parameters were all excellent.

Mike

Mike,

Cheers,

Thomas.

Hi all

Mike

sad.gifsad.gif

Yes, for some reason the panduro group don't do well on a heavy bloodworm diet. Macliensis don't do well either.

Eremnopyge are another *b*tch* of a fish, not doing well on that diet.

Caca, agassizi, veijita, eunotus, bitaeniata, we never had a problem with on the frozen bloodworm diet.

We've stopped feeding all the apistogramma on bloodworms and we use baby brine shirmp (because we have these on hand all the time to raise fry anyway), frozen brine shrimp, Tetra colourbits (because we feed discus), NLS and occasionally live black worms for the adult fish to induce spawning.

Hi All,

My apisto collection in my display tank stands at:

cacatuoides: 1m, 2f

agassizii: 2m, 4f

veijita: 2m, 4f

macmasteri: 2f

bitaeniata: 1m, 2f

baenschi "inka 50": 2f angry.gif from same batch as Thomas. Was wanting 1m, 1f and was hopeful for a while there as one of them has much better colour definition, but it's definitely a female.

apistogrammoides pucallpaensis: 1m, 1f

The bitaeniata male is turning out spectacular. His colours are really starting to show through. (I'll post some photos of my apisto's soon.) He's also the most aggressive guy in the tank. But the male cac is getting bigger and standing his ground now. But he's not aggressive.

The pulcapensis are going very nicely. Very small when purchased a few weeks ago, but I'm confident I have a male/female pair.

Finally got a couple replacement agassizii males that haven't died on me. From what I've heard here and on another forum, looks like a lot of males purchased from that original batch ahve died inexplicably.

Currently feed them a mix of tetra bits and vegetable flake daily and ahve started throwing in live brine shrimp once a week. Plus they like to munch on the leftovers of the live baby crickets I throw in once a fortnight to my butterfly fish.

p.

All my a. caca died, first 3 went after 1 1/2 weeks, and the last one died about 1 month after. dntknw.gif They were never keen eaters, but I suspect the last died from stress, as I moved it to another tank because my convict fry were getting a little pushy. blush.gif

Hi All,

Here's some photos of my little guys. Haven't got any of the new agassizii's yet.

Viejita

user posted image

pucallpaensis (male & female, I think) confused.gif

user posted image

bitaeniata

user posted image

baenschi "inka 50" (pretty confident both ended up being females)

user posted image

user posted image

blue rams

user posted image

user posted image

cacatuoide

user posted image

macmasteri male (RIP) sad.gif

user posted image

Peter.

Hi

My new fish are doing well. I lost one of my A. baenschi very early sad.gif but was probably my fault as the fish was quite thin and I didnt pick that up in the shop (too excited :D ) It was eating but obviously couldnt recover enough.

I now have a definate 1m 2f of the A baenschi (Inka) and the two little girls are quite territorial, found their niches in the tank very early and havent shifted since.

My pair of A trifasciata are doing well, the male is quite dominant in the tank and he's looking gorgeous (will get some pics soon - after I clean the glass in the tank rolleyes.gif ) He is busy displaying to the female as well but she is doing a good job of ignoring him, and then I think he gets frustrated and he ends up chasing her. The female hasnt really got a territory at all, quite happily swims up and down the full length of the tank, so I think I need a few more pots and maybe she will settle down and yellow up.

Peter - I agree with your sexing of the fish, the pucallpaensis are definately a pair, the black on the ventral fins is a big give away, one has it and the other doesnt. Bit hard to tell with the second pic of the A. baenschi but I think you are right and have two girls. I will post a pic of my male as soon as I can (weekend ?) so you can compare, the easiest feature to sex them with I find is the tail, the girls tails fade to transparent and the boy has the red rim and a colour through the whole fin. He is also starting to get bluey bits on the body and the girls are very yellow with the black striping.

Are everyone else A. baenschi females bright yellow ?? I cant see how they can get more yellow with breeding dress.

MY goodness - how do you get such fabulous photos of your fish. I spent a bit of time playing with the new camera and the tank on the weekend trying to get something nearly decent and failed miserably sad.gif Way too much glare/reflection from the white kitchen cupboards on the other side of the room, my reflection in the glass etc. (OK - Ill go read the photo faq one day blink.gif )

Steph

PS: Wrestling with posting images...

Archived