Best Filter Needed

Guest walshy28

Guest walshy28

I have just purchased my first freshwater tank (4ft, 200Lts) I have 6 cichlids and 5 bristol nose. I need some guidance as to which filter would be best suited to my tank. It has a hood so I would need an internal filter. Suggestions on the Website was for an Eheim Pro 2224 is this an internal filter?? Please help me!!

Hi,

What filter do you have ATM? I believe there's no best filter for everyone but there are good filters.

Internal filter usually aren't for big tanks. For your size of tank, you can use something like Eheim 2252 internal filter (expensive) or Resun internal power filter.

The size of your filter depends largely on the size of the tank, the stocks, water change regime, feeding, etc...I think it's best for you to read some articles about filtration, how it works etc to help you to determine what suits your fish and you.

Eheim 2224 Pro is a canister. Have a look at: www.eheim.com

HTH,

DD

For that size, I'd get an external canister, which is much easier to maintain. I have an internal Eheim just for water circulation, and cleaning it is a PITA.

Id go for a cannister. www.aquariumproducts.com.au has great prcies on a large range of external cannister filters.

wazza

PS. Im not affiliated with him smile.gif

Hi,

I have one standard 4' one with a big internal power filter (Not sure whatr type) and the other with a fluval 304 external cannister. The fluval 304 is so much better. I will replace the other filter with a cannister filter, well maybe one day. The BN's will do alot of your work for you anyway. They are the some of the best algea cleaners around. I have 2 Adults in each tank and they keep the algea down.

cheers

thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

The BN's will do alot of your work for you anyway. They are the some of the best algea cleaners around. I have 2 Adults in each tank and they keep the algea down.

I agree about the Bristlenoses; on my non display tanks, I haven't scrubbed the glass in over a year, as the BN (and ottos) keep the algae down. In my display tank, I still need to scub the glass every 3-4 weeks as it has to look very good.

Archived