Moving

agro77

Hello There Peeps...

I have a delema, I need to Move a 48 x 18 x 18, I have a spare 48 x 18 x 12 (empty), its current inhabatants are a Oscar (10inch) 6 Convicts, 8 SAE, 6 Electric Yellows and a few BN Cat fish.

The move is about a hour by car. I think the easiest way of moving the fish will be to Put some water into the spare 4 foot, place my ehilm 2223 on it, move the fish (barring the Oscar... to worried that he will take full advantage of the situation and eat his tank mates) I will place the Oscar in a esky by himself. With air stone in both tanks. Bottle the rest of the water 100+ litres. Move the tank and gravel (giving it a moderate clean) and reset up @ new location using the aged water. Go back and get fish and most of the remaining water. open the canester filter and transport it like this. I figure I will lose about 30% of the water Just as if i have done a rather large water change. I will add the normal De-cholorinator and adjust the pH as required. Can anyone see any problems I will encounter and or need to plan for, or are there other ways of moving the tank?

Cheers and thanks in advance cool.gif

It looks like your well prepared to me.

When I moved, I just set up a 3 ft tank, moved some of the water from my 4ft tank to it. bagged the fish, put them in the new tank. And then continued to empty out the 4tf tank.

Then about 4 weeks after that, I did not notice that the filter had stopped pumping, one day I came home, all the PRIZED fish (the big, mature, males, with pretty colours and atleast six inches) all died.

Between the shock of moving, a new tank the filter going and me just not paying enough attention with the move. I was about to cry that these fish (2 E.Blues, 3 Venustus, 3 Lithobates).

Steve

Looks like you are well prepared agro77. But something that you must consider:

- You must have a UPS which can run for at least 1 hour, so that the air pump and filters are still running during the transportation (to preserve the good bacteria).

- Just be carefull with moving tank with some water in it. As it is easily cracked when you lift it up, and when you are driving a long on rough surfaces.

- Just some ideas, why don't you put all fishes into some esky boxes, put all/some of the water into the water container/storage, and leave the tank empty.

- Move the tank 1 by 1. I mean that on your first trip you bring tank A with no fishes, then set it up, after that move tank B, and some fishes. Put the fishes into Tank A (which has been set up before), and set up tank B. The next trip you bring the rest of the fishes.

That's what I am going to do if I have to move.

Good luck and let us know how you are going.

Fishly

Me thinks I didnt explain myself properly

Step by Step

1- Trasplant Tank water to tank B Aproximatly 50%

2- Transplant Ehlim to tank B

3- Transplant Tank Water to esky for oscar move oscar

4- Add battery powered air pump to both holding tank and esky

5- Move the hord (remaning fish) to the holding tank

6- Drain 30% remaing water into Containers for transport

7- Clean gravel in remaning tank water (not to well as to not destroy all Good bacteria)

8- Drain Dirty tank water on mums prise roses rolleyes.gif

9- Transport empty tank, water and Oscar to new location

10- Refil tank with aged water and install heater etc (have 2 so holding tank will still have one operational)

11- aclimatize Oscar and release.

12- Return to collect Hord, Bag fish and move remaing water to containers.

13- open top oh ehilm and place airstone in canaster.

14 - Transport fish to new location.

15- Connect Ehilm

16- Add aged water

17- Top up tank with tap water and appropiate chemicals

18- Test water ph hardness etc

19- Match water parmaters to original location

20- Turn off lights

21- Aclimatize Hord and release

22- Re add plumbing for powerheads etc

23- Enjoy clowdy water and fish smile.gif

24- Post Add FS:4 foot tank

As there anything I have missed.

I also have a few Meds waiting If things go pear shaped

I also have AMMOFree Ammonia Remover 450gm should I add this to a bag connected to a powerhead??? just in case?

Thanks for the replys so far

Anthony

looks like you are doing it bloody well to me. dont add the ammo stuff till you actually get ammonia appearing, otherwise you are just wasting it. other than that you should do exactly what you said!

Well,

All went fairly well, Followed my list as planned. every thing looked good first 24 hours, then all fish started swimming at the surface, and started dying off. Tested for ammonia nil. added a extra air pump, then noticed the temp. Damm heater (brand new) was stuck on... (temp was 37c) quickly removed 1/3 tank water replaced with cold tap (i know but not much else I could do) go temp back to 27 changed heater. Lost 4 electric yellows, 4 phusotrophous, 4 SAE. Damm heater!!!!

Ant

Archived