Hongi colouring?

Mbuna

hi all smile.gif

i have recently bought a group of young Labidochromis hongi. Over the last few weeks a young male has started colouring up (6.5cm). he is now probably fully coloured but doesnt seem to show any black barring on the forehead or the body even when displaying. the others show the barring (im presuming these are females). The parents are F1 fish that are about 5 or 6 years old. I owned a colony of hongi a few years ago that showed the black barring. Is this strange, has anyone owned hongi that did this? the computer that i am currently using is a fossil that has no usb ports so i cant provide photos but will post some when i can.

Cheers

Harry

The barring can completely disappear depending on the mood, like most Mbuna I guess. And females can also show the barring.

I'm sure he'll display that black barring more prominently as he develops.

By the way, can you tell us what locational strain your Hongi are? Apparently it is found in several locations and not just Hongi Island

There must be some "Hongi Expert" on this forum that could provide more input if we knew the locational strain of those F1's you mention.

Hi guys,

im quite sure he is a male. He has all the characteristics- prominent egg spots and elongated anal, pelvic and dorsal fins, he's what i would say from past experience with hongi 'fully coloured' like your male, just without the barring. But as you say, he is still quite young and can still prove himself cool.gif other than the lack of barring, he has great colour - much better then my last colony in sydney.

Sorry gtr, i think he thought they were only collected in the one location as i did. But after reading on a site they are also found at

Liuli, Hongi to Lundo Islands, Mbamba Bay Island, and Undu Reef

Thanks for the replies smile.gif

Harry

Archived