Sump pump for 8x2x2

Brownfish

Hi all,

my Grunfos pump has starting making a nasty clicking noise. The water is still going through at a good rate though. I am fearing a breakdown and would like to get a replacement pump. Presumably, I'll get the Grunfos reconditioned and then have it as the back up pump.

Sooo... I'm hoping that you guys can point me in the direction of a good quality water pump that will pump enough water to turn over my 8x2x2. Preferably a pump that I can order over the Internet this afternoon and get delivered quite quickly confused.gif

As in most things, I'm after quality but I don't want to break the bank either blush.gif

Thanks in advance,

Richard

hi Richard

if the grundfos is making clicking noises, pull the pump cover off and check that there is nothing foreign in it [might be a piece gravel??]

if it is terminal, by the time you order over the i/net and it arrives maybe too late

check some syd stores and see what can be done, maybe able to get it too the club tonite, and you'll have it tomorrow

just a thought;

cheers; Colin

Thanks for replying everyone.

Good Call Colfish! I got home last night (my wife had reported the noise during the day while I was at work - it sounded pretty bad over the phone) and took the pump off and flushed it out. Although, I didn't see it, there must have been a bit of gunge in there because when I set it back up, it worked fine thumbup.gif

Two lessons out of this. First, it was a great move to put a union connector each side of the pump - easy maintainance. Second, I need a backup system. I think one of those $50 AoA pumps with a hose fitting ready to go is the answer. That way if I need the Grundfos reconditioned or if I need to shop around for another higher quality pump, the cheapie will keep my tank ticking over until I get it sorted.

I never have measured the output of my Grundfos UPS20-60, I should do it one day.

Cheers and thanks again,

Richard

Is it this animal?

Pump specs PDF

The flow chart says 3000lph at 2m head (it run in top speed, says it has 3 speeds?)

Hi Ash,

yes a very similar beastie, except mine is a few years old now (not sure how many as I bought it second hand). The three power levels are marked on mine are 60W, 80W and 110W, and by zooming on the linked pdf you can see that the levels on the one on the website are 40W, 65W and 90W. I have it running at the top setting and it doesn't surprise me that it is pushing 3.5k+ (head about 1.5m). A fair wattage I know, but I figure the constant heat it generates and puts into the water flowing through significantly reduces my heating requirements.

Thanks for the tip on the website though. The price of around $300 new was a bit less than I thought it would be. A good investment for someone setting up a serious high volume tank.

Cheers

Richard

Hi Richard,

Try here mate. user posted image You will find the link at the top of the page.

I would go with the HQB-3900 3500lph depending on the amount of water turn over you would like.  thumb.gif

HTH

I'd recommend these as a great cheap backup pump. I'm actually using one as my main sump pump on one of my tanks. For the price they're unbeatable thumb.gif A similar pump would normally cost you 3 times as much.

hi Richard,

just a note to yourself and any other local dudes.... I can usually be counted on to have a spare pump of some sort sitting around in case I have an emergency so if you do get caught out unexpectedly you're welcome to borrow it temporarily.

I can usually be counted on to have a spare pump of some sort sitting around in case I have an emergency so if you do get caught out unexpectedly you're welcome to borrow it temporarily.

Hi Laurie,

in that case, I take back what I said about you in the ACE chatroom the other night LOL.gif

Seriously though, good on you Laurie, I'll keep it in mind thumbup.gif

Richard

Archived