new setup using existing bacteria

pupz

i currently have placed a new HOB sittinng on my already cycled goldfish tank

thinking of chucking that filter onto a new tank so that a build of "good guy" bactera will already be existing. how long should i leave the HOB on ma goldfish tank for to build up the bacteria? And would this actually shorten the cycling time of the new tank

Yes it will shorten the cycle time for your new tank down to only a couple weeks, it should have been operating on the old tank for about 4 weeks first.

I always put my spare filters in to my main tank to keep them cycled when I am stripping a tank and if I store all the other tank parts and gravel in a cycled tank as well (Gravel in a stocking) then using water from my main tank I only wait a day before putting fish in my in.

What you are doing will transfer some bacteria to colonise the new tank... but it will still take about a week or 2 for your new filter to be biological with them.

Just go and buy some of that bacteria dust in a bottle.

It is relatively cheap and helps introduce bacteria quickly into a tank.

It's only like $12-14.

THis will help speed things up if you are impatient.

I would not using the filter or water from goldfish tank, because there are many diseases associated with goldfish.

But at the end, it is up to you, if you think that your goldfish are very healthy then go for it.

Hopefully it gives you some ideas what to do.

Archived