Building a canister/sump

steve24cro

Hi

I was wondering if anyone has tried successfully building a canister filter out of a drum and a pump. I am thinking of using a 60 litre drum and attaching a 3000lph pump on top.

Has anyone done this before?

Is there anything to watch out for?

I am using a design of an eheim, so i will put a tap in bottom for inlet, however i need something to stop the media from going to bottom (like a hard plastic grate). Any other tips or ideas i may need? Apart from not bothering to try...

On a smaller canister I would simply use a layer of bio balls so as to not hinder the intake. Not sure if this would work on your larger proposal however.

I did see a DIY article somewhere where someone siliconed in PVC pipe cut into four short "pylons", then placed egg crate over the top of the pylons. This might work better on your 60L drum. dntknw.gif

thats a good idea! i will use that, however im more concerned with the top of the filter on the inside? how do i stop the media from hitting the top of the filter, and what type of design do i need with the pipe going in from top into the filter..

Hmmm, guess you could use a layer of 1" bioballs on the top, spread out, then an egg crate divider. Can't see how that would work. The only reason I suggest bioballs is because, as I said before, works on a smaller canister. I have a Sacem canister and I just use the bioballs to keep the intake (bottom) and pump (top) free of any blockage. The Sacem I have is basically a drum with a pump at top, no trays, and you just load it up with media.

Incidently, how do you plan to fit your pump at the top? Sounds like a good idea, if you can seal the drum no worries, but curious about the pump.

pump will just glue it on top (dont want to screw it as i dont want to fill more gaps with silicon. I would use a pump like an ehiem one, about 3000lph should be plenty i suppose on a 60l canister? I am planning to seal the pipe going into the drum with silicon or maybe put a fitting through it. Havent tried this, but estimate cost of all materials (including pump) $200.

Will cost at least another $200 to fill it in media alone.

pump will just glue it on top (dont want to screw it as i dont want to fill more gaps with silicon. I would use a pump like an ehiem one, about 3000lph should be plenty i suppose on a 60l canister? I am planning to seal the pipe going into the drum with silicon or maybe put a fitting through it. Havent tried this, but estimate cost of all materials (including pump) $200.

Will cost at least another $200 to fill it in media alone.

something people underestimate, or morelike, over. is the efficiency of a canister filter chemical filtration. a 3000 litre pump will not be any better than a 10,000lt pump because the water is rushing over the media so fast the bacteria is not getting a chance to do its work. however this is the exact opposite for mechanical....the more water you get passing through the better!

the above figures are just made up to explain my point.....3000lph should be fine, what size tank is it filtering and how stocked is this tank?

dont forget to take into account head height. 3000lph at 1.5m might only push around 2200lph. of course this is brand dependant.

good luck.

well its filtering a 6x2 tank very lightly stocked at moment, however will be stocked with lots of large messy fish. 3000lph isnt much on such a canister, i am not going with huge lph ratings. I want a good blend of mechanical and biological filtration.

I didnt see this mentioned, but try to ensure that the lid is either a screw on or is very tight, as that is often where you can get leaks from, particularly with a 3000lph pump. I made a pool filter using those hard white buckets, and a 8500lph pump. The lid was my main problem.

Also check out the prices of bulkhead fittings, or read up on diy fittings. You really do need good connections, and not just a hose or pipe glued with silicon.

Cheers

You'd be better off building a trickle filter - more efficient, flexible and will be much easier to make work properly. Unless you specifically need a canister? The problem with a canister is that you have to get the water to flow through the media effectively, you could have 3000lph of flow but 2500lph of that is taking the easiest route through the canister, around the media instead of through it. The brand name canisters go to a lot of trouble to make sure the media gets good flow through it and contact with all the media.

I dont think I've ever seen a DIY canister that works really well sad.gif

Heres a sump trickle filter I made out of an old fish tank I found on someones nature strip:

MY DIY Sump Filter

It has submerged media section in the middle which holds the media I removed from my Fluval canister. This sump currently has a 5900lph pump on it but probably only flows about 3500lph through the sump.

The most expensive part of making this was buying a decent pump, the actual filter itself probably cost me less than $100 in bits and pieces thumb.gif

well im just copying the ehiem classic canisters, just on a larger scale. Im not trying to re design anything. Eheim make the best filters around, so i dont see how a canister, same design as an eheim couldnt work. (other than if i dont build it with the correct materials) Im not saying this will work 100%, but hopefully it will work.

There will be no way for the water to bypass the media (as in eheim canisters) whats the best place to buy all the bulkheads etc?

Hi,

I did one with a few years ago with 2x 30lt drums back to back. In the end I used trickle because I don't like the cleaning part of it.

One thing to watch out is water leakage thru the lid and all connections. All my connections were not permanent, none were siliconed. So, it was even more challenging.

Another thing is the suction effect from the pump because it's a closed system. If the drum is not riggid enough, it will shrink once the pump starts. I assume you're using a blue drum. Looks rigid enough, you should have this problem.

I used PVC pipes that are widely available & cheap from irrigation supplier/hardware stores.

Alternatively, you can try your luck finding an old Eheim 30lt barrel. You can pretty much use any pump. I just did one 2 weeks ago.

HTH,

DD

Heres a sump trickle filter I made out of an old fish tank I found on someones nature strip:

MY DIY Sump Filter

It has  submerged media section in the middle which holds the media I removed from my Fluval canister. This sump currently has a 5900lph pump on it but probably only flows about 3500lph through the sump.

The most expensive part of making this was buying a decent pump, the actual filter itself probably cost me less than $100 in bits and pieces  thumb.gif

I like your inflow tray with holes drilled throughout, in lieu of the spinning spray bar? Simple alternative! thumb.gif

hers a link that has a DIY canister

link DIY canister

Ah, THAT'S where I saw the PVC pylons idea. yes.gif

steve24cro, have a look at this link to get a thorough understanding of sump filters:

Everything you wanted to know about sumps

Guest parallel

MY DIY Sump Filter

It has  submerged media section in the middle which holds the media I removed from my Fluval canister. This sump currently has a 5900lph pump on it but probably only flows about 3500lph through the sump.

The most expensive part of making this was buying a decent pump, the actual filter itself probably cost me less than $100 in bits and pieces   thumb.gif

I like your inflow tray with holes drilled throughout, in lieu of the spinning spray bar? Simple alternative! thumb.gif

hers a link that has a DIY canister

link DIY canister

Ah, THAT'S where I saw the PVC pylons idea. yes.gif

steve24cro, have a look at this link to get a thorough understanding of sump filters:

Everything you wanted to know about sumps

Excellent article

This post got me thinking and did a quick dig around in our factory. Lucky me, this is what we are moulding at the moment for the customer.

Have a look at these two pictures.

Canister 01

Canister 02

I was thinking putting them side by side, one for inlet and one for out let. Comment anyone?

steve24cro if you interest in these canister send me a PM see if I can get some reject for you. Reject is what I say is a reject. wink2.gif

Need to act quick I can't get them after today.

Cheers

Picture removed

Guest parallel
yes if you can save me 3 at least or even more. how large are they?

They are 200mm Dia and about 150mm high.

Already saved 2 for you see if I can get some more on Monday.

i have done the diy canister thingy, ity went well for 3 years, but cleaning was a hassle( but only once every 6 months)

as mentioned silicone is a dodgy aproch, fittings are best, most containers are made from poly ethylene, and silicone wont stick to it, not even to water proof, just dont...lol

I used 2 25l tubs one flowing into the other, they were round and worked well.

I also tried making another, using 3 30l containers ( all had screw on lids, avaliable from bunnings, water containers) ii went to use a king 4, 3500lph the end result was 25mmm pipes were not big enough, and the king 4 imploded the container the pump was in!!!! true, the container actaully creased permanantly and the lid fitting distorted, then it sucked air, and then made a mess (lucky i tried this outside first) So in th eend the second canister cost me about $300 in parts media etc (pump was extra) It never made it to being used, it was disacarded, the pump now sits in my sump, easier to clean, easier to look at, way more efficient.

Archived