Sand or Gravel

brendon

Is there anything wrong with putting sand from the beach in the tank as substrate or should i just stick with good old gravel ?

cheers brendon

I think this question was answered in one of the threads in the FAQ section, but anyway, collecting sand off a beach is technically illegal in Australia shock.gif

But the main issue is that the sand is often unclean and dirty with many contaminants, but it depends on the where you get it from. If you really want sand, try buying some sydney sand or newcastle sand from a landscaping supply place, or even bunnings warehouse. ($5.35 it cost me for 20kg).

Hope this helps,

Rob

Nothing wrong with having either of thoses substrates , when I first set up my tanks I used gravel and then after a couple of years I changed them all to beach sand .

Now I have a mix laugh.gif some tanks with sand and some with gravel blink.gif , some fish would prefer the sand such as sand sifters from lake Tang yes.gif

If your going to use sand just be aware not to get a very fine grade, because it will be a headache if you are going to be cleaning it by siphoning up the dirt often, it will suck up the sand.

Also if your filter intake is too close to the sand you will then too get heaps of it in your filter which can cause it to clog up/break down, and also especially if you have very active or spooked fish that will kick the sand up into the intake.

I have this problem with Sydney sand. I've seen a lot nicer, also finer sands but it's just hard to maintain. I get half a handful of sand at the bottom of my canister filter everytime I clean it which is every 3 or so months.

If I could change the substrate in my tanks now it would definitely be some sort of dark, normal to fine grade gravel, easy to clean and will make the fishes colours stand out much nicer.

Cheers thumb.gif

Trust me, check out pool filter sand. thumbup.gif

I have used it in multiple tanks for over 10 years with none of the problems others report from playsand and builders sand etc. Everyone I've told to use it has been very happy with it.

Pool filter sand has been seived to certain grain size so you dont get the very fine particles and there is very little dust, a quick rinse in a bucket and its ready to go in. It doesnt pack down and get dead spots like other sands. The fish waste collects on top of the sand in pockets so you just suck it out with a syphon hose - you can gravel vac it too if you like, just dont use a very large gravel vac.

Best of all it looks natural! I wouldnt use anything else in any of my tanks thumb.gif

Trust me, check out pool filter sand.  thumbup.gif

I have used it in multiple tanks for over 10 years with none of the problems others report from playsand and builders sand etc. Everyone I've told to use it has been very happy with it.

Pool filter sand has been seived to certain grain size so you dont get the very fine particles and there is very little dust, a quick rinse in a bucket and its ready to go in. It doesnt pack down and get dead spots like other sands. The fish waste collects on top of the sand in pockets so you just suck it out with a syphon hose - you can gravel vac it too if you like, just dont use a very large gravel vac.

Best of all it looks natural!  I wouldnt use anything else in any of my tanks  thumb.gif

what colour is the poolsand sand buddy

thanks Lee

what colour is the poolsand sand buddy

thanks Lee

I have a couple of slightly different colors in my tanks, one I set up years ago has a typically sandy color, one I just set-up a few weeks ago is a little lighter color. I think it depends what brand you get, they are all naturally quarried sand, just seived and packaged for using in pool filters thumb.gif

I have a couple of slightly different colors in my tanks, one I set up years ago has a typically sandy color, one I just set-up a few weeks ago is a little lighter color. I think it depends what brand you get, they are all naturally quarried sand, just seived and packaged for using in pool filters thumb.gif

thanks mate ill have to see if i can find myself some in a couple of months when i get my new tank cheers mate wink2.gif

Archived