Glowing red GM fish to sell in US

mulva

As these fish are GMO's they are illegal in Australia. Anyone selling them for aquariums would be liable for fines.

For more info i suggest you contact the OGTR

Office of the Gene Technology Regulator

Still a shame to see that they are available in other parts of the world. :blink:blink:)

i agree that the sale of gm fish is wrong especially when we go through so much trouble to have ,obtain and reproduce near perfect genetic strains of fish. although they were actually developoed for what could be a usefull tool(water pollution /temp, monitors, but then how hard is it to test a water sample?

Isn't this sort of abomination horribly twisted! <_<

Sort of shows the ethos that leaves us on a dying planet, that we have known "we" are killing for decades, squabbling over "chips" like bloody Seagulls.

This, those OB Dimi's and a heap of other Genetic tampering activities in something so bland, and safe, as "Aquaristic Endeavours" must give the "Conspiracy Theorists" among us some wonderful scenarios to play with when it comes to Military Genetic Experimentation and the like. <_<

Now as I clime of the little, soap-box shaped, mound that seems to have developed under my feed... :p

They looked like they are dyed Zebra Danios? :angry: Oh well we cant really do much to stop the scientists :angry: but we can atleast not buy the fish if we are against them.

They werent designed for the aquarium but were created some time ago as an 'aquatic canary' as certain contaminants and heavy metals would cause the fishes colouration to react in different ways, allowing quick visual determination of industrial water quality. Its a shame they're about to be marketed. ;)

Yes they are derived from the zebra danio. ;)

Hi All,

Well compared to the others who have posted, my views are quite different. I dont mind GMO's at all, obviously some things should not be tampered with, but splicing a gene to make the fish glow a different colour, doesnt really bother me. Personally coloured fish such as these dont really interest me, but they interest others, so why not let them have them and not be concerned. Dont want to start a big ethical debate on GMO's here, cause its one that cant be won by either side, just seeing as i will be one such scientist maybe working in a lab making these things, i should add my 2 cents.

Grungie

Archived