Tropheus and Tank size?

MoliroMan

Hello,

It is always recommended that u keep tropheus in tanks no smaller than 4 by 2 by 2.

I was just wondering if anyone out there has kept them in smaller tanks?

I have kept tropheus in a 50cm cube tank but they were just juveniles.

Any comments will be appreciated.

Dave

I have a colony of Ilangi in a 4X18X18 growing out but the plan is to move them into a 6X2. The smallest tank I use is a 5X2.

Hello,

It is always recommended that u keep tropheus in tanks no smaller than 4 by 2 by 2.

I was just wondering if anyone out there has kept them in smaller tanks?

I have kept tropheus in a 50cm cube tank but they were just juveniles.

Any comments will be appreciated.

Dave

I think it really depends on the number of fish, the sex ratio and whether they are wild caught or not.

I kept a colony of 7 Bemba in a 2x2x2 for what was meant to be a few months, due to no choice, and they did nothing but breed. I got mouth full after mouthful. So they stayed there till I expanded the colony and they got upgraded to a 4x2x2. They never breed in the 4x2x2 like they did in the 2x2x2.

I don’t believe you could keep wild caught in anything smaller than a 6x2x2. They would tear each other to shreds. The same would happen if you had a heavily male populated tank naturally.

But with the right tank size, décor, filtration, diet and colony size they are no harder to keep than a tank of peacocks. The only real difference is the cost to establish the colony.

I kept a colony of 7 Bemba in a 2x2x2 for what was meant to be a few months, due to no choice, and they did nothing but breed. I got mouth full after mouthful. So they stayed there till I expanded the colony and they got upgraded to a 4x2x2. They never breed in the 4x2x2 like they did in the 2x2x2.

I have heard the same thing when a guy kept adult moliros, 8 of them in a 2 by 2 by 2 successfully which defies all logic. I use to think if the tank is overcrowded the fish will somehow understand not to breed any more (as if they are that smart!). But somehow the overcrowding makes the males randier and more wanting some breeding action! wub.gif

Archived