Tank Size for 5-6 E. Yellow & 5-6 PS. Saulosi

zappy

What size tank would accommodate 5-6 Electric Yellows (Labidochromis caeruleus)

and 5-6 Pseudotropheus saulosi. I am thinking about getting a 48 x 18 x20 tank and a ehiem 2213 canister. Would this be large enough (tank and canister)?

Could I possibly fit in some Melanochromis cyaneorhabdos (maingano)?

Certainly a 48x18x20 is plenty big enough, it is very likely that in that size tank that they will breed. With the other fish, i wouldnt put them in. Unless this is a display tank.

HTH

wazza

Hi zappy

Once I had a breeding colony of E.yellow with a few saulosi in 36x18x14.

It was not bad, but I thought larger the better. I might have two 2x2x2 for seperate colonies, one for e.yellow & one for saulosi.

But it will be a display tank, so it would be OK. A few BNs would be nice.

E.yellow and saulosi had no trouble at all.

For filter... If I have a 48x20x18 tank, I would go for 2215 or higher for better flow rate.

Hope this will help.

Cheers

Mike

If breeding at all, I would not mix the yellows and saulosi as I think the females are too similar looking. The yellows would go great with the maingano. That would also give a nice balance of yellow and blue. With yellows and saulosi, although the male is a nice looking blue, you will end up with many many more yellow fish than blue and the tank will be mostly yellow.

Oh yes, as stated, plenty plenty plenty room in that size tank with that number of fish. I don't know about Eheims so can't advise there. I have an AC500 on mine.

Archived