aquaclear 200 for a 50 gal?

pupz

I'm gonna buy a 50 gal tank=200L approx, on the aquaclear 200 box it says up to 50 gallons, but when i asked the lfs they said it would filter for 120-130L. i think its cos the americans use different electrics system ie 60HZ and in oz we use 50HZ so that would be less flow rate. am i just being an idiot or is the aquaclear 200 enuff for the 50 gal. i am considering raising 2 or most likely one large central american cichlid

That's a standard 4 footer, right? At LEAST a 300 on that and supplement with other filtration, especially if keeping an American. You might like to get a medium sized American not a large one, since at 14 inches front to back that doesn't give a big fella much room to turn around in.

Mmm, I am not an American expert myself, if you take a look at the profiles section on this site and others, you will get an idea of sizes. The profile section on SCP (link at left) suggests a single Jag can be kept in 200 litres or over. I don't really know their size.

For a 50G, I would be looking to the AC500 and a cannister especially if you're thinking about any of the messy feeders, like Oscars.

I just sold off a complete set up with a 4 yo Oscar (and a fat common pleco) in a 48 x 14 x 20 with an AC500 and a no-name cannister (I seriously mean it had no name on it - I got it for cheap in Singapore on a business trip). Water was crystal clear despite the O blowing chunks of foods out of his gills at almost every feeding.

What are you thinking of stocking?

Cheers - OziOscar.

The thing will filters of any kind is....whatever size they say they can filter up to is bullcraP. Atleast to me. I go for overkill, you can never have too much filtration.

Get a filter that will give you a big turnover of water, how many litres it filters per hour. Also a large sized filter can hold more filtration media...more surface area, more stable filtration and stable biological build up.

Go as large as money can buy!

Steve

well if you have as much money to blow on filters as steve then go for over kill but if you dont want to lose and arm and a leg in the process, i would just run your AC with an airstone at the other end of the tank for flow. As long as your tanks are well maintained with weekly water changes you shouldnt have a problem. Ive just got into Africans but have been breading Americans for a few years and i ran that exact setup on my breading GT`s for months, and they were happily spawning. If youve got some cash to burn overkill is better but if your strapped for cash and really wanted to get a tank up and running you should be ok with the setup ive just described. HTH Cheers Andy

Yeah, when a heater fails after such a short peroid of time, don't go back and buy the same brand. Use this oportunity to go out and try something new.

smile.gif

Steve

P.S By trying something new, as in next time prepare the tank before transfering fish. The first 4 weeks are very critical.

THanks phatoscarlover

that gives me some confidence, yeah i'll prolly get it up n running considering i will only be buying fairly small americans, and as the get larger and i get more money hopefully i'll put in a better filtration system

Steve thing is he already owns the AC. Why go and buy another filter? No stress about your heaters either i use the worst brand heater you can buy and its been running for ages! It wont over work the heater. Just remember, the more food, the excretion , the more filtration youll need. So keep the water changes to 15-20% a week and you should be laughin. HTH Cheers Andy

Boronia Aquarium Interactive Pages

Archived