Keeping Bichirs

danpri

Bichir are one of the hardiest species of fish, they will live in just about any pH. I would suggest something close to neutral though.

No big differeneces with the species, mainly size. I don't think you will have the apportunity to keep any of the overly large agro bichir species.

very hardier fish.

keep them in Neutral water with planted driftwood and some cave for them to hide in.

u can feed them bloodworm, chop up whitebait, Hikari sinking carnivore pellets , Orca pellets, cut up shrimp, chop up earthworm

OR live feeders like guppies , if the Bichirs can catch them.

what Bichir u have?

go the ornates, much larger than the other 2, nice patterns/markings i have a pair at the moment, growing very fast.

senagals are pretty drab in colour, dont get much bigger than 25-30cm

Im looking for a Polypterus endlicheri largest of all bichirs

nick!

nick!

None thinking of getting one $300 for senegalus or 500 for delhezi or ortnapinnis.

They're all GREAT!

As others said, no special requirements. But if you get one, it's EXTREMELY IMPORTANT that you cover your tank. They're escape artists. And leave some gap between the water surface and the tank lid as they require to breath atmospheric air.

Also, it's a good idea to have a heater guard to prevent heater burn.

Senegal: doesn't grow very large, about 20cm max I think. Yes, they're plain but full of personallity. I think they're the most active.

Delhezi: doesn't grow very large to, about the same size as senegal. Not that active. There're thick and thin stripes. I think the thin stripes are man made.

Ornate: the largest of upper jaw. Grows to about 2 foot. Magnificent markings but not that active. Sometimes boring.

Endlicheri: comes from lower jaw family but not the largest. Largest is congicus. Grow to about 2.5 foot? I've seen them around since April. Very limited but they're there.

Dan, they price you quoted are quite good. How big are they?

HTH,

DD

Got some questions guys...

Are they very aggressive? As in biting the hand that feeds them?

Also, for the smaller breeds - recommended tank sizes (peoples opinions)?

Thanks in advance...

Some individuals can be very aggressive. They're predators, built for a kill. They'll eat anything moves that fits into their mouth. Hand biting happens, mostly accidental when you hand feed them.

Depends on how many you want to keep. Senegal should be ok in a 3 ft by itself. Of course the bigger the better. Just like any other fish, you have to consider their full size.

HTH,

DD

Got some questions guys...

Are they very aggressive? As in biting the hand that feeds them?

Also, for the smaller breeds - recommended tank sizes (peoples opinions)?

Thanks in advance...

Some individuals can be very aggressive. They're predators, built for a kill. They'll eat anything moves that fits into their mouth. Hand biting happens, mostly accidental when you hand feed them.

Depends on how many you want to keep. Senegal should be ok in a 3 ft by itself. Of course the bigger the better. Just like any other fish, you have to consider their full size.

HTH,

DD

Thanks for that...

I do now believe I am in need of another big tank - and then some cash to find one or two... I am thinking one bichir and 2 other fish... Not sure on tank mates though. Thoughts from people??

Also think these guys rock Glad to see you still playing with your Empire they are mad little bugger's Still got your big boy Arow?. Also is there such a thing as an Armoured One i no thats the common name no idea on the real name guy's they look more like a lizard than a fish lol.

Thanks.

Tim.

Hi TIm,

long time since you visit this forum,

too busy with lungy's forum ,

yeah still go my RTG, i believe is a she . reach 50cm now . once i finish setup my

8x2.5x2.5 tank , i m planning to look for a male RTG. And i see what happen hug.gif

armour bichir are Polyterus delzhei

saddled or red bichir are Polyterus endlicheri endlicheri

they just look like a lizard when they are young , i.e <30cm

but they do look very different once they get older and put on more bulk.

look more like a dinosaur

Archived