large breeding bristlenose setup

phear

hi guys im just wondering if any 1 out there is breeding alot of common bn im wanting to set up a mass breeding setup and just wondering what kind of tank setup like what size tanks with how many bn in each tank?

also do u guys like sponge filters or canisters on breeding tanks?

im thinking of putting like 5m and 10f in a std 4ft with lots of drift wood and lots of caves. i have a few "breeding pairs" so i know that i will have some breeding but they were in the tank by them selves when they were breeding but do u think they will breed alrite when they are in a tank with other bn.

Jamie

also if you have a setup like this how many fry per month do u usualy have comming out as i have 8-12cm m and f which usual batches consist of 50-120 fry per parent.

i havent mass bred BN but i have bred them. I have a trio in my 380L planted tank and they constantly bicker with each other, during breeding it's not uncommon to see nipped fins and high speed chases through the aquarium, geee now i think about it they do it rougher then my blue acaras tongue.gif, so i'm not sure about keeping 5 trios in a tank smaller then mine, i dont know maybe it's just my BN.

In my all my QT/fry tanks i use sponge filters, the BN fry like to suck on caught food on the sponge and some times like to sit in the flow of the bubbles.

I've heard that when one male starts breeding it triggers all the females to spawn with him so it's not uncommon to find huge ammounts of eggs in one spawn when there are multiple females. So maybe you'll only need one male in the tank and maybe a back up one else where, where you can tag team them.

The only problem that I can you having is that only the dominant male may be your only breeder so he will not be abe to keep up with the demand. In one of BN colonies I have 3 males and 6 females and only one male (the dominant one) does the egg minding. The other ones get excited when I do a water change but get no action. In a larger tank you might be more successful. Alan is the man to speak to however as he is the mass BN breeder.

cheers

rosco

I've never mass bred them but I would image the best setup would be

5 2ft cubes for breeding

each with 1m and 2f 8-12cm

and then you would definitely need at leasts 3 3ft tanks with good filtration to raise all the fry to a saleable size.

You would get away with 1 sponge filter on the breeding tanks (sponge filters for 300L). you would need 2 or 3 even per tanks for the fry, depending on how stocked it became.

You would probably get $1 for 3-4cm fry in a competitive area. You might get $1/cm from LFS if there is a shortage etc.

HTH

Mike.

Archived