Setting up box filter for new tank

Richard

Hey guys,

I was just thinking about filters and was wondering how you would start up a new tank for say tropicals.

How would you cycle your box filter if you had no other exsisting tanks and didnt have the time to cycle a filter? I have heard about the conditioner called Cycle© but have never tryed it myself. Is it any good?

So yeah how long would you have to cycle these filters if you had to start from scratch with no other tank water just straight condtioned water from the tap? Could you use a test fish to start off the nitrification process?

cheers

Richard

Yeah the "cycle" seems to work for me, also If you have a friend with tanks you may be able to use some of the water out of his tanks, also cocktail shrimp, I dont think these are really the answers you are looking for maybe some-one else can ellaborate on them!

Hi Richard

pretty much the same rules apply but if you dont have an aged filter at hand or substrate or water from an established tank then you have to go the 6 week cycling process and add fish gradually and not all at once dry.gif , you can use cycle but an even better product is amtrite down or biostart . I used a siamese fighter in my 3ft and he is still going strong and today received some tank mates clown loaches so the key is not too over do it too quickly! .

cheers

Sarah

Ok guys thanks for the replies but what if you have no friends and you have none of that cycle or whatever to make it cycle faster?

I always thought box (corner) filters would take heaps fast to cycle....guess i was wrong?

How does this sound.

Set up tank with cycled water, box filter running and fighting fish.

Wait 2 weeks then add 2 gupppies.

1 more week 1 platy.

Would that be ok or would you see those guppies and platies drop like flies?

cheers

Richard

Archived