Weaning Murray Cod

Marinara

Just wondering if anyone knew about weaning fish from live food to dead food?

I have a 40cm Cod which I feed crickets, mealworms and yabbies. With the warm weather he is just going nuts on the food and it's getting to be a bit expensive. Also I would like to broaden his diet to make sure he is getting the right nutrients for growth.

I have tried fish strips, prawns and commercial trout pellets but it seems that if it's not wriggling he doesn't want it. He'll occasionly take these when he hits the food first off but always spits them.

I've thought about starving him but from what I know about Murray Cod this could be a very long process and I'm not sure I want to go that way. Any suggestions?

Cheers.

Its difficult when they are big. ive always bought them small and have had no problems. i had mine on flake, cichlid pellets and froz blood worm. same rule seems to apply with little barras. once they get too big they just never seem to accept prepared stuff.

• 4 weeks later...

you can get them to eat what ever you want but you are going to have to starve him a bit which wont have any real health effects on thir health so dont worry about that. i know one hatcheries feeds their wild caught breeders carp fillets and i know people that have caught these guys on bait from cooked sausages to a rabits head, so just get them hungry and they'll eat. i have one now at 15cm which only get pellets/flake as its in with africans.

cheers

mick

Archived