Which Boops is this?

ptfish

Just wondering whether anyone can confirm the locality of this Boops. I was told it is Kisambala, Page 108 Picture (5) of the Tanganyika book by Ad Konings but it looks more like Picture (6), ie at Msalaba but both pictures are more brownish, mine is jet black.

Dominant Male

user posted image

Female

user posted image

Non-dominant Male

user posted image

Patrick

You can try this link  http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles.  I find this website is extremely good for determining localities of African rift cichlids as they have pics of just about everything on it.

Cheers

James

James,

Thanks, I have already done that and even gone through the whole ventralis list but still couldn't find a match.

Patrick

Hi James,

The fish you had pictured looked like this fish:

user posted image

&

user posted image

These are the Black boops "msalaba"? The male had some lighter streaking in the dorsal

like the fish you showed. The pics I posted are of fish owned by a mate he also sourced his from Melbourne as well.

Hope this helped

Christian

Hi James,

The fish you had pictured looked like this fish:

user posted image

&

user posted image

These are the Black boops "msalaba"? The male had some lighter streaking in the dorsal

like the fish you showed. The pics I posted are of fish owned by a mate he also sourced his from Melbourne as well.

Hope this helped

Christian

Christian,

I have just updated my fish picture and my thought were with you initially but I have some doubts, if you refer to P108 Tanganyikan Cichlids by Ad Konings book, Picture (6) - picture of Msalaba, the streaking on the dorsal fin is different as compare to our fish. May be it is still the same fish but I like confirmation.

Thanks.

Patrick

Archived