Goldfish

OziOscar

Hello!

I am thinking about doing a small (24 x 12 x 18) goldfish tank in my study.

Can anyone point me in the direction of some quality websites with good, accurate information?

Cheers - OziOscar.

What sort of information (types, diseases, tank setup)? I've found a lot more mis-information than information on goldfish, probably because they are so common. One of the most common mis-information is that goldfish should only be kept in a bare tank, otherwise it will sicken and die (abbreviated version of what a 'goldfish guru' wrote); in many years of keeping goldfish in a planted tank, they have done well, and seems happier with more distractions. A start would be The Krib's goldfish info. At that size, probably 2-3 fancy goldfish max.

The hardest part would be getting decent goldfish...

Thanks for the hints...

I guess I am looking for one or two really prime Ranchu as I find the aesthetics of their shape the most appealing to me.

So far, I have seen quite a few sites that talk what could best be described as absolute rubbish or a recipe for needing to stock again almost annually.

Given their attractiveness and longevity, I'm looking for the real thing, not what most LFS pass off to noobs or people keen for feng shui reasons. With a little luck and care, this purchase should die after me. biggrin.gif

Some of the examples I have seen on some sites are very beautiful and have most wonderful size and shape. It's this kind of premium quality that interests me the most.

If you could hint to me where to find such beauties, Poe and other wise fishkeepers, it would be well appreciated.

Cheers - OziOscar

I would second that; Trans Aquarium in Canley Vale sometimes have very good specimens, but with goldfish, it depends a lot on luck, and taking the time to observe the fish. It's probably worth paying for a medium size or larger Ranchu; you are really taking pot luck with the small ones.

Depends on their mood, as they will give an unasked for discount. biggrin.gif

Expect between $12 to $35 for a larger (not large) specimen. Check out the price of their Hikari fishfood as well; the cheapest I've seen (Lionhead sinking food and Oranda floating food). Their Eheims are cheaper as well...

Thanks for the heads up, Poe and Fozzi!

Looks like it's time to go south of the harbour. biggrin.gif

Cheers - OziOscar.

I usually take Cumberland Highway (old habit), so it's west of the Harbour. biggrin.gif

Has anyone had any luck with Lams? My office is about five mins from there (and 20 mins to park sad.gif)... Better go have a look-see anyway...

Failing that it's off to Trans... <<play "Indiana Jones'" theme song>> Are there any other aquarium shops of note around that way?

Cheers - OziOscar.

OziOscar check out the post I just put up in the underwater garden tank forum. It has a pic of a planted goldfish tank that I use to have. The goldfish pooped too much and made it really hard to maintain as they got bigger. Now they are outside in the pond, hopefully one day i will get some baby goldfish!!! One of the orandas has laid eggs before but they never got fertilised. blush.gif

Cheers

Fozzi

Thats a reasonably small tank for 2 full grown goldies (even fancies) .

You are either going to have to beef up the filtration or get a slightly larger tank. I would opt for the slightly larger tank if you can because, lets face it, they are prettier when they are moving around, and seeing as you are planning for them to be with you for a long time, they are gunna get big!

do make sure that when you are setting up the tank, however you decide to go, that its done for ease of cleaning, because as Fozzi said, goldie tanks are a pain to keep clean wink.gif

I would love to see pics of the fish when you choose them wink.gif

recently saw a pair of black orandas... if i had the room.... smile.gif

Has anyone had any luck with Lams? My office is about five mins from there (and 20 mins to park sad.gif)... Better go have a look-see anyway...

Failing that it's off to Trans... <<play "Indiana Jones'" theme song>> Are there any other aquarium shops of note around that way?

Can't say I've seen anything interesting on the goldfish front at Lam's. Is the carpark always full (I only go there weekends, so usually get a park)?

The other one literally just around the corner from Tran's is Monaco, which can sometimes have good specimens as well.

OziOscar check out the post I just put up in the underwater garden tank forum. It has a pic of a planted goldfish tank that I use to have. The goldfish pooped too much and made it really hard to maintain as they got bigger. Now they are outside in the pond, hopefully one day i will get some baby goldfish!!! One of the orandas has laid eggs before but they never got fertilised. blush.gif

Great looking planted tanks. The reason you had problem with the goldfish is probably the same mistake I initially made; white gravel! I now use black gravel, so the poop is not visible, and plant heavily (there is a link to my planted goldfish tank in the UW Garden forum as well), so they are merely fertilising the plants. biggrin.gif

recently saw a pair of black orandas... if i had the room.... smile.gif

That's always the hard part, isn't it. wink.gif

Mine currently have plenty of room, so it's always tempting to get more, but I know in a few years...

Out of curiosity... how much filtration is right? Would 900 lph flow and 600 lph filtration be enough for a 24 x 12 x 18?

Off to the Deep South tomorrow AM... biggrin.gif

Cheers - OziOscar.

Out of curiosity... how much filtration is right? Would 900 lph flow and 600 lph filtration be enough for a 24 x 12 x 18?

Depends on your goldfish load; that's about what I have in my 30" planted goldfish tank, although the plants do help.

Archived