whitespot

phear

hi guys i have been having trouble with 1 tank with bristlenose catfish in it always getting whitespot.. do u suggest anything to get over the problem i have been using some stuff from LFS what can i do to speed up the process like more water changes or what will help?

Jamie

yeah turn the heater up to about 30 degrees increase aeration.

what medication are you using? follow instructions accordingly...

put some aquarium salt into the water...

hi guys i have been having trouble with 1 tank with bristlenose catfish in it always getting whitespot.. do u suggest anything to get over the problem i have been using some stuff from LFS what can i do to speed up the process like more water changes or what will help?

Jamie

G'day

For whitespot I

I will second the use of Protozin,

and.... add some sea salt, increase temp to no more than 28 degrees, increase aeration

And I... block out all light for 60+ hours (cover the tank with black material).

hth

Matthew

make sure you follow the instruction when using medications, and continue with treatment as specified even if the white spot goes and turn the temp up. I believe that some fish may be carriers as I seem to go for a few months without any white spot and the then it reared it self again. no new fish etc. so treat early and follow treatment instruction to the letter. Protozin work for me last time even with my loaches at half dose.

The salt and temperature treatment works for me. Increase aeration to boiling point if you're going to do the temp to 30 degrees, very little oxygen in the water then.

The amount of salt you put in should be 3 grams per liter. (0.3%) I have used this dose for L104's, peppermints, dwarf and clown and pakistani loaches. Maintain temp and salt concentration for at least 10 days to be sure. If you have enough aeration the fish will be fine and will show no discomfort.. mine ate like pigs the whole time. Add the salt in over a day or so, a bit at a time.

Covering the tank will not do anything. Ich are not photosensitive as was often believed in the past. They also do not lie dormant for extended periods of time. Rather, treatment when ceased too early allows one or two of them to survive on a host. They then hang around until another outbreak. They are actually pretty small and can live in the gills etc so it takes quite a few of them to be noticeable. All the more reason to keep the treatment going as long as necessary. Using salt and temp. the treatment can go on almost indefinitely as these are not toxic to the fish, unlike some meds.

HTH

Vincent

I believe that some fish may be carriers as I seem to go for a few months without any white spot and the then it reared it self again.
I think it is up to 6 weeks isn't it?

1 day they were fine then the next day they were on the glass near my air bubbler and the filter. and i looked at them and they were covered in spots. my breeding female is really bad i am hoping that i wont loose her i couldnt care about the rest but just want her to live..

Jamie

Archived