Preferred Water For Pleco

codyg

I recently bought a gold spotted pleco from my lfs, and i am wondering what kind of water conditions it prefers?

Currently the ph is about 7.2 and the temp is about 27.

Any information asap would be great, because i dont want to accidently kill him sad.gif

Don't stress about your temp, i keep mine on the high side 27-28 and my plecos are growing fine. My ph is also above 8 and they don't seem to mind it. They are very hardy creatures, one of mine lived through a fungal disease that i could not get rid of (killed many fish and was the only survivor). Your ph is fine and so is your temp (sorry wui39, not trying to undermine you at all).

As long as you acclimatised him and you have no ammonia, he'll be fine. Give him a bit of time. My Gold spot was a little shy at first.

Anthony

Also, just wondering, how do i test for ammonia, because i have a feeling that i have some, is it recommended that i go and get something to remove it without testing it? or should i buy the $35 test kit just to find out what i think i may already know?

i just bought a gold spotted pleco, they can live in basically ANY water, hardy fish, any temp between 24 - 30, ive had mine in all temperatures and they have all grown big and healthy, disease free. You dont need to test for anything at all, i think its a waste of time and money buying PH test kits and ammonia etc for community tropicals, i havent had a test kit in 3 years, none of my fish have died. AS long you do regular larger water changes, fish are happy. Some ppl might not agree with me, but thats life.

While agree with steve that I don't check often sometimes months at a stretch, but it helps if something goes wrong, that way you can give people some info to work with.

The three, normal pleco, sailfin and goldspot are all pretty hardy and will accept just about any water condition as long as its not ultra extreme. I had 2 sailfins even survive through an incident where my hardness was so high that even the tangs died.

The best way to remove ammonia by diluting it with water changes, i'm sceptical about products that claim to remove ammonia because thats the job your filter 'should' be doing in the first place. I know i said this in the personal message I sent you but how often do you do water changes and what percentage? Also what filtratation do you have and how many letres of water does it turn over an hour? If your not sure we can help you work it out to see if it is sufficient.

Anthony

pleco are fine even in 30degrees water, i kept mine in with the discus at 31, and the pleco was growing well, very fast!, it comes down to your luck at times and how well you maintain your tank generally.

and i had my ph at 6.1 and they had no problem with it aswell.

Archived