Red Empress Colony

Aquaman

Hi Folks,

My current Red Empress colony is 4 M and 2 F.

I have some fry (8) which I'd like to introduce into the colony to get some extra females.

I'm thinking of reducing the number of adult males.

What's the best colony ratio? Should I keep at least one sub-dominant male to minimise aggression towards the females by my dominant male?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Cheers

Richard

Richard -

The ratio really depends on 1. the size of your tank. 2. The behaviour of YOUR males.

Somes males are ruthlessly aggressive, while others are passive to the point where they do not breed with the gurls unless given an incentive (ie: a second male).

HTH -

Thanks Yew,

The tank is a standard 3 footer.

My dominant male is not too agressive towards the sub-dominant males, he chases them and they stay out of his way in most cases...

I also have three 12-14cm Ngara peacocks in there (about to reduce to one) and three electric yellows. The peacocks are heaps bigger than my dominant male (he's 8cm) however the male Empress is the king of the tank...

Thanks again.

Richard

Hello all,

Rather than creating another thread I thought I would post here.

Would a single male Red Empress be OK in a 5'x2'x2' tank along with a collection of male Auloncaras, O. Lithobates, Electric Yellows and L. Hongi?

As this is a display tank I have no interest in breeding and am mainly looking for colour.

Thanks

Paul.

He will love that tank!!!!!!!!!

Protomelas seem to make great kings of the tank in my experience. They get awesome colours when the dominant fish in a tank. COurse it all depends on the males size, bigger the better!

Just beautiful fish.........

I think I'm the victim of a post hijack! mad.gif

Archived