Plastic Sex

herefishiefishie

I had acolony of xmas fulus, 1 of the males(had 3) ended up dropping its colours, then 2 weeks later it was holding blink.gif stripped 2 weeks later & fry ohmy.gif

Well I have since had similar results with Burtoni, seeing as they are quick growers, I have been throwing the bigger fry, showing colours into the colony, to seperate from smaller ones. Now a few of these have since have held, produced fry of there own. blink.gif I have posted this on a couple of other sites with mixed results, no white crane dry.gif has been used by myself or the lfs stores(source of the cichlids)

So I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this?? rolleyes.gif

Akroyd found this site, www.cichlidae.com/articles/a091.html makes good reading, mbuna, & in trying to research this more, I have just read a book called,

The Cichlid Fishes,

Nature's Grand Experiment in Evolution.

by,George W. Barlow.

this book also goes into how the ph & temp can effect the sex ratio....with the salvinis having more fry I plan to try an experiment with this,

Frenchy smile.gif

Hey,

Your not wrong, pretty interesting read. The article (may) have explained a few happenings that have taken place with my lombardoi, with a fish that i thaught was originally male and was spawning with all my females (no fry produced). Now although she has a half yellow half blue complexion it has carried a few times but has not produced any fry yet. It is unlikely that this sex change has occured but you never know, especially with this cross dresser fish of mine.

Anthony cool.gif

I'd love to hear the results of the experiment!

But i think it's important to be 100% sure of the sex of the fish initially. As many of my young males or females have shown indifferent colours especially in the presence of a dominant fish. Hope it goes well

I will copy the experiment "Barlow" did with his Midas cichlids, growing up the Salvini young together till there size is clearly spread out then seperate them, so bigger in 1 tank & smaller in the other, see what sexes I get at the end. Might take me a little while. whistling.gif

so is it "the fish that grow quicker become males" instead of "its the males that grow quicker". rolleyes.gif

Also "Barlow" had 2 Female Orange Chromides mate & rear young together.

also ph affecting young, on Kribs(see Kribs post), dwarf cichlids amongst others too.

Frenchy smile.gif

Archived