Cichla monoculus

transistor

Hi guys just wondering if anyone keeps these guys. They look like a damn cool fish and i wouldnt mind getting some in my 6#2#2. What would be a good number for a group to keep together in that tank?

Also what price would i be looking at? or does anyone have any they want to offload?

Cheers thumb.gif

Chris

Personally I think a 6x2 to be too small for any adult Cichla these are huge powerful quick swimming fisn, that need plenty of space. But not all share my views on keeping the species.

I'd start with a nice group of 8 or so and grow em out and see how you go. Expect to pay $20-30ea.

Alex

i have 4 x 35 cm in a 5x2x2 tank with a pair of 40cm gibbicep. They are a very powerful eater, i alway get wet from water splashing in the tank. They are difficult to wean onto pellets at first

Try getting a group when they are young about 6-10 , because they are quite timid fish.

expext to pay around $20-$30 for a 5cm size fish, or $150-$200 for a adult. I haven't seem much fry becoming available lately. I believe Lungy have sold his breeding Trio alway for $900 -$1000, not sure.

Kevin (aka Sorroz) is also breeding this fish, he have fry available now and then

but haven't seem any lately

Ive got a pair M=40cm F=35cm and there awesome! I got out of americans a few years ago for peacocks and mbuna but i dont think il ever be able to bring myself to part with these guys now... Ive been feeding 100% live diet for a few months now to try and get there size up a bit but the cost on the wallet will probably see that change soon lol Here is my most recent pic of them...(not the greatest but you get the idea)

user posted image

user posted image

and the parents....

(photo credit:lungy)

user posted image

Cheers Andy

transistor id do as empire said and get a few small ones and raise them.much cheaper than buying larger ones and thier fast growers anyway so it wont take long to grow them up.that way if you dont like them you havent spent a fortune in the process.ive seen them around bigger like empire said for 150 to 200 but i think thats a ridiculous price thier honestly not worth that thier not that exciting and its a hefty price for something that you may decide to not end upup keeping too.many people bought them and got sick of them quickly to be honest i consider them to be an oscar in a different body.wusses that think about eating constantly.

• 1 month later...

lol Nice fish i agree i have a pair my self about 35cm male and female i hope.. Mine get a strict diet of White bait as feeders would send me broke i have had many of them but the fact they ate so much live was why i never kept them. But now i got some on white bait i can not bring my self to part with them they are so nice. RTC are awsome room mates also as anything the cichla do not eat gets cleaned up buy the big brutes also very playfull with eatch other i think.

Here is an pic of one of mine that i took a few months back they are great fish and these ones came off the lung man who is still the proud owner of his breeding Trio and he has fry avalibul at the moment. i belive.

user posted image

Thanks.

Tim.

Archived