What are compatible fish with lambardoi?

Guest ConvictsRule

Guest ConvictsRule

Hi everybody,

I am getting 13 lambardoi @ 4-5 cm in a 4 ft i am just wondering what else should i put in there that wont get killed because lambardoi are aggro?

thanks,

ConvictsRules

You will only have problems if you have 3 or more males, even then in a 4ft 2 males would be pushing it. 1 male will take control over half of your tank and will not let anything in his territory. I have a colony of 1 male 5 females (lombardoi), i kept e-blues in with them for a while with no problems at all. I know that your not supposed to mix fish from different lakes but at the moment i have N.Brichardi in with the lombardoi and i havn't had a problem. But with the amount of lombardoi you are gettin, adding another species would not be advisable. If you had 1 male and 5 females, you probably could add another species, like e-blues or even peacocks (if they are larger than the lombardoi). Hope my info helps!!!

Anthony cool.gif

grow em up a bit there will probably be a few males in the group you are getting and get rid of the extra males keep one or two that should make your colony smaller ans then you can probably put something else in there with them try to get fish which dont look like them so dont put a colony of saulosi or anything like that and also try to put a non mbuna in there like a adam said peacocks or other haplochromines electric blues or maybe some lithobates try to make sure they are a bit bigger than the lombardoi coz the lombardoi are pretty territorial and the malescan rule a tank and become hyperdominant breeding with all females in there and im pretty sure you dont want crosses if your gonna have another colony in there try make sure you have 2 or 3 males and sevral females and lots of hiding places

you should be ok i think coz the lombardoi your getting arent that big

and from now on write lombardoi not lambardoi coz i know that someone will reply to your post just to whinge about your spelling

Guest ConvictsRule

Ok sorry about spelling unsure.gif

I dont really want to make a colony i am just wanting to grow them all up as a display tank not for breeding,so is there any chance i can keep them?

And if i choose all females and maybe 2 males will that be ok?

Because i wanto keep them all smile.gif

Chances are you will end up with a greater percentage of males than females. You may end up with 8 males 5 females. Which would mean that if you want to keep 2 males you would need to get more females. This would be the case for most mbuna. IMO You hear stories of how agro lombardoi are but it really is an old wives tale i think. I saw Seay's (Tangalicious) Salousi the other day and they were just as bad if not worse, and ive seen plenty of e-yellows before and they are pretty narky as well, i think it is just the Mbuna way of life.

Anthony cool.gif

I think that should be ok smile.gif, but lombardoi sometimes don't colour up untill there about 5-6cm, so possibly a couple of the females may turn out male. But select 2 definate males (usually either fully yellow coloured or muddy yellow) and select what you think are females. Try and do a deal with who you are getting them from and ask them: if any of your females turn out male, can you swap them for a female?.

Anthony cool.gif

Archived