Heater for pond..

mezzacam

Ok... i have a fish pond in the backyard which is pretty big.... so i'm thinking of turning it tropical.. with a pump and heater and stuff.... ok...

this is the part that is probally really stupid but i'll ask it anyways...

Is it possible to like ahh... power hearters and a pump through like a solar panel and spare battery? I've always thought about it but kept shaking it off as being stupid idea but i think i could do it and was just wondering if any of yous know of anything like it being done? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks cameron.

You can certainly power all sorts of equipment using alternative energy sources. The setup cost is usually the biggest problem. I recently got a quote for a 5kW system (wind and solar) and after all government rebates it was going to cost me around $15-20, 000. You can run normal 240V pumps and heaters for a long time before you spend all that money.

We set up 12V aerators on the stations that only have generators running for 12 hours a day. That is a pump, automatic switch and battery to last 12 hours for around $1500.

the other way is to talk to your local stock feed place (eg. elders or westfarmers)and get a price for the solar pumps that are replacing windmills. Not sure how much that will cost but worth a look.

Adam

Oh ok.. lol.. Well this is a pond.... about 1.5 - 2m long, 1 m wide and about 50cm deep... so i only need to power a pump and however many heaters it'll take to heat it so yeah... I only want to put all my lombardoi in it (All 21 of them and about 20 convict fry and let nature sort out numbers... even though i know Lombardoi will rule) but yeah. Thanks anyhows Adam for your help :0 Greatly appreciated.

dreams..... biggrin.gif

Ive dreamed of building a glass house with a pond in it. It will heat up by itself to some extent and would also prevent the massive amounts of evaporation from the warm water.

cheers

Jonny

Some pool's use a pump that flows through a poly-pipe matrix, which is on the roof or other prominent direct sun possie. You turn it on, and the black poly, retains heat, and gradually heats the water, my grand fathers pool is heated like this, he has it upto 26-28 through winter, but it is important in cold weather to cover the pond to prevent heat loss through the surfacE (more efficient). I am hoping to setup a system like this when i get to build my pond i will be using 19mm poly for my main line and the matrix will be made from 10mm (i think thats the next size down?) i'm thinking of using about 20-30m of poly for my matrix (i don't know the size of the pond yet)

Archived