Do's and don't of breeding for a first timer

rosco

Hi all,

I am just after some recommendations for a couple africians that are easy to breed in mixed 4' african tanks (I currently have 2). I also would like to know roughly what a good mix of male and females are for the given species (ie 1 M and 3 F ,not just one of each, unless that is the case of course) that would give me the best chance of breeding. Along with things to consider like bloodlines etc. It is worth noting that I have a couple smaller tanks that I am able to raise little ones in

One thing to note I am only going to breed fish for the fun of it not to make money out of it. Any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks in advance

PR

thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

You could have a colony of E.yellows in 1 tank and a colony of Ps. Saulosi in the other.

The rations should be 2-3m/5-7f in each colony.

(i mean if you have 2m/5f or if you have 3m/7f)

I personally would go with just 2 males and lots more females. But thats just my opinion.

HTH

wazza

I am just after some recommendations for a couple africians that are easy to breed in mixed 4' african tanks (I currently have 2).

It is important that you tell us more about what you have in the tank and what equipment is on the tank, etc, etc...otherwise the advice will be just a "I like This species" sort of post. I doubt that will help you.

HTH

No probs Mazimbwe here is what I have

Both tanks are standard 4' tanks:

- Tank 1 has a fluval 304 (1000 l per hour) and a small power head.

- Tank 2 has a large internal power filter and an airpump. I am not sure what it is I just know that I have "noodles in it and filter sponges. This tank was given to me by someone who did not want it anymore so I inherited the fish as well

In this tank most fish are around 6-10cm mark

Tank 1

1 x Electric Yellow (Male) (5-6cm)

1 x Electric Blue (possible Male) (5-6cm)

1 x Kandago red (????) (6-7 cm)

1 x lombardoi (female) (7-8 cm)

1 x leleupi (?????) (6-7cm)

1 x N brichardi (Male) (6-7cm)

1 x red empress (male) (9-10 cm)

1 x tangerine zebra (????) (9-10 cm)

1 x taiwan reef (maybe female) (5-6cm)

2 x adult bristles (1 male 1x female) 10cm & 6cm respectively

Tank 2

1x Adult Electric Blue (male) around 15cms

1x Adult M Estheraa "Pulu point" (maybe not confirmed) around 10-12 cms

3x Adult convicts (all male) around 10cms

1x upside down catfish around 6-7 cms

1x BN catfish around 8cm

I also have 2 standard 2' tanks with good powerheads. one is setup to grow up littleones and the other soon will

cheers

PR

thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

If your going to add a 10 fish colony into those tank it'll become way too overcrowded, I'd say sell some/all of them and start fresh with smaller colonies (2m 5f). It seems you have 2 display tanks, use one for breeding (two colonies) and you can keep the other one for display.

1 x Kandago red (????) (6-7 cm)

1 x leleupi (?????) (6-7cm)

1 x N brichardi (Male) (6-7cm)

1 x red empress (male) (9-10 cm)

1 x taiwan reef (maybe female) (5-6cm)

Tank 2

3x Adult convicts (all male) around 10cms

1x upside down catfish around 6-7 cms

Tank 1;

Two problems that I can see may be: 1) the size of some of the fish that I have left in the quote will in the end not siut a standard 4ft and: 2) a couple of the species are from a different lake to the bulk of the fish you have to toy with.

Tank 2;

The only problem I see is the soft water difference...but if that is the way you wanna go you should choose...just my opinion tho.

I think Nels, has given you a good start and maybe you can thin those fish that I have listed, in the quote, and put the Mbuna males together for a nice display. Leaving you 3 tanks to have for breeding.

Then it becomes a bit easier for you to make some decission about having a species only breeding tank or going for a combination of 1 Mbuna and one small-Hap or Peacock...from there it becomes a matter of personal taste.

HTH

Thanks for the advice guys,

As for the mix of fish in tank 1 unfortunately I bought most of them before I found this forum and with some indifferent advice from the LFS. Unfortuantely I spent a fair bit of cash on each fish but more importantly since they have survived my average early attempt at africian keeping I have am now attached to them wub.gif Down the track I intend to get as 6x2x2 but as with everything it is a matter of $$$$.

So I think based on what has been mentioned I'll start with tank 2 So I guess with the nice looking E.Blue adult male I will give them a shot. I will leave tank 1 alone (for the moment) and make tank 2 the breeding tank. As I mentioned I inherited the fish in Tank 2 from someone else. I suspect that the convicts will head somewhere else and I'll toughen up the catfish.

So if I go with E blues what size should the colony be? Should I only have the 1 male (he is big and very cranky, but I like it)? What size should females be? and how many should I have?

Any further adivice would be greatly appreciated.

cheers

PR

thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Archived