freshwater longtom

transistor

• 2 weeks later...

Shovely is correct. These guys are in contention for the best aquarium escapee award. They will jump out of the smallest of holes.

Underfeeding is th biggest killer of these fish IME. They don't take much at all to become thin and weak. Once they become to thin it can be quite hard to bring them back to their former glory.

Just out of interest, how much was he/she labeled as? as they are quite pricey here in Perth, the only time I ever see them they are $80+.

Shovely is correct. These guys are in contention for the best aquarium escapee award. They will jump out of the smallest of holes.

Underfeeding is th biggest killer of these fish IME. They don't take much at all to become thin and weak. Once they become to thin it can be quite hard to bring them back to their former glory.

Just out of interest, how much was he/she labeled as? as they are quite pricey here in Perth, the only time I ever see them they are $80+.

Your definately right about the feeding... he didn't seem to eat anything i put in the tank, and after one day of not feeding due to car service, i returned to find no longtom in the tank. i checked the lids were closed. they were. i looked on the floor for a dried up stinky fish. Nope. I looked around the tank for ages. No longtom. After a few days of confused.gif i was looking around the tank and found what appeared to be the remains of the snout... complete with lots of pointy teeth.

the sooty and coal grunter, both less than half his size, had been snacking on him overnite.

Not bad... $100 for a fish that lasted 10 days.

Just a suggestion,

These guys get pretty big (long) and are not real flexable......Could end up with an individual outgrowing the width of the tank and spending it's entire life facing one way.

Will only eat live food till they learn you are the food source, and then only fresh meaty foods.

Half beaks or snub nose gar display the same body shape and characteristics on a smaller scale...Are breedable in lage aquaria, and tho smaller, at least survive in captivity.

Archived