Sexing D. compressiceps

23Skidoo

Well i've had them for a few months nows and the bubs are starting to show a bit of colour difference, the majority still have the basic juvenile colours, but two of the largest seem to lose their stripe occasionally, one of them very rarely has the stripe, and is getting a blue tinge to his flanks. Am i right to assume this is a male? Is there any definative way to I.D males and females, as i was planning to trade a few for some fresh blood and i'd like to know what i'm trading and what i'm trading for.

Any ideas at all, Thanks

You can identify the dominant male/s by observing the colony, even at quite a small size (4cm or so). The dominant male/s will hold a small territory, drop their stripes & be aggressive towards the other fish. Unfortunately, as soon as you put a net near the tank, the stripe will reappear and they will all look the same again. It sounds like the one you mention with the blue tinge is probably the dominant male.

Cheers, Doug

How big are they?

I had 20 dimis (small adults about 8-14cm) in a 6x2x2 and there was never a sign of aggression from any of them. In fact, none of the dimis I've ever owned have had their fins shredded at all.

They are very hard to vent sex, even when 10+cm (just ask Anita wink.gif ). Basically you have to wait until they spawn, or wait until they get to a decent size (or the males turn blue!)

Archived