Greshaki

pipsqeek

I bought these Gresheki a year ago off a member from here....all up about 10 of them, they bread like crazy the first month I had them, and that was the last of it.

Wondering what can I do to trigger them to bread again?

I have a community tank with Lombaroi, Venustus, Clown Loaches, Blues, Yellows etc... all living happily together and the Gresheki group ofcourse.

Temps are high because of the weather...heater is broken anyway, which I meantioned in another forum. Water is always above 28 deg C.

Water is changed once a fortnight. Running a Via Aqua (the largest model, 1200 I thnk), and breaking water surface nicely.

Steve

Hey Squeek,

Regular water changes (10%, once a week) should do the job. BUT your grasheki may crossbreed with lombardoi or e-yellows so id watch out for that. They would breed no doubt if you had them in a single species tank or even a couple of species (i.e. Mbuna & Hap tank)(sorry if you already know this).

Thanks for the advice, but I did already know this.... I am not too concerned if they don't breed, but I just throught that they went crazy when I first got them. I thought that maybe it was the water change, going from the previous owners place to mine, his water being slightly different no doubt, caused it to happen.

Anything can trigger it I suppose.

I already change water regularly, and also keep tabs on Ph, Hardness, Amonia levels etc..

Sometimes when you try to hard, you makes things worse. Sometimes leaving things be makes it all happen.

Thanks

Steve

Hi Steve -

How big are the other fish? How big is your tank?

Is it possible that the other fish have grown to the point where they interfere with the breeding of your colony?

The other possibility is that the tank is crowded to a point where it is difficult for the zebs to find a spawning site.

HTH -

The tank is standard 4ft.

I am not sure that the other fish are interfering as when I first got the Greshaki my Venustus, Lombario, Rusties, etc are all quite large compared to the Greshakis.

The Venustus is about 6 inch in length and approx 3.5 inches in height. She sad.gif is the biggest in the tank and most other fish are roughly the same size.

I am not too concerned about it but it would be nice to have free fish, shops are just ripping us off I think. I'll stick to buying them on the classifieds or something.

Will have to check it out more, but I am confused as to what it can be that makes them breed once and that is it.

Thanks

Steve

Archived