To much Zuccini fed to Bristlenose?

wazza

I don't know if this is the right forum or the Catfish one would be better. But my question is, Can i feed to much Zuccini to my Bristlenose? Im trying to get them ripe with eggs to breed but would it be ok to feed it to them every day? Along with algae wafers and sinking pellets?

wazza

hey guys i cant seem to finf th eother zucinni post so can i just ask on how to prepare the zuchinni?

as in do we cut it first and then boil the cut pieces or do e boil it and cut it later also whe we freeze the zucinni, do we freeze it after it is boiled or before?.. also when we use the zucinni after taking it out of the freezer, do we just wait until its defrost? or we just put it in as a frozon price?

The bn are 10cm-14cm

There are 8 of them.

Umm i personally cut the zuccini put em in container with tablespoon of water and nuke for 50secs the put on scewer and did into gravel.

wazza

Hi guys,

Zucchini that has been blanched for a minute or two in boiling water or nuked in the microwave for a couple of minutes seems to suit the bristlies.

As to how much to feed - be careful not to overdo it - or be meticulous in removing any uneaten food the following day as the decaying matter will be detrimental to your fish.

Zucchini being a veg with a very high water content would not freeze well at all destroying most of the benefits of fresh veges. Try and buy small fresh quantities if possible.

Cheers

G'day Wazza

Nope you cannot feed them too much zucchini, every day would do them absolutely no harm. Just ensure that anything left over is removed!

We feed them some zucchini, often. biggrin.gif

If you are trying to condition these guys to breed, then as well as the zucchini give them a higher protein diet. You can use pellets or even better frozen bloodworms.

Do a big water change in a week (and again the following week) and you should be away. biggrin.gif

i must agree and disagree, i feed my btn zuchinni every 3-4 days i dont cook or heat or blanch in any way they get it RAW it lasts longer this way. My two adults and 40 fry go through about a quater of one every 2 days, I also feed them spirilina wafers or flake and they love lettuce and nuked pumkin slithers. I cut the zuchinni in half width ways and longways so a 1/4. If the temperature in the tank is below 27 then it will last about 3-4 days, any higher and the proteins in the zuchinni will breakdown causeing the water to become very cloudy/polluted within a day! Just give them a varied diet, most things green are fine....

Seems like they will eat zuchiini a few different ways. I slice mine into round slices, just under a centimeter thick, then blanch in a fair bit of water for 3-4 mins (i've found the less water i blanch them in, the zuchinni can dry out a bit so it floats). I have 3 large peppermint BN and generally give them 4 slices a day and can't find any remnants of the zuchinni the next day. Although they are in with 3 large silver dollars and they also have a go at the zuchinni. I only do the weekly gravel clean and water change and havn't had any problems fouling the water. I also feed them bloodworms, algae wafers and sometmies a few sinking pellets that i feed my oscar...

Nathan

I feed it to my BN. I nuke (microwave) it peeled in a plastic container for 40 seconds. Then I fill the container up with hot water. If it floats I nuke it again repeating until it sinks in the water (heating the water and the vegies). It never takes more than a few 40 second 'nukes' to make it sink.

The SAE like it too, but they often seem to swallow a bit connected to a chunk by a stringy bit and swim about with the string swallowed and the chunky bit following them. Quite funny when they drop it and go back for another go. I love those little fishies.

You would be surprised at when BN's will breed!

Basically the dominant male will have to clean it's den before the female will take an interest in mating. But you know Males and Cleaning sometimes don't mix!

I was surprised that after doing a scrub of my wood log to clean it... they mated within 2 days.

Any encouragement will help... scrub his den!

Oh and make sure that the Dominant Male's den is quite secluded. It needs to be quiet and dark. The male will guard his den so best to have a good cover for him to hide and not be disturbed from other fish.

Archived