Filtration for a 6x2x2

transistor

Evenin' all...

I have a 6 footer with 1000lph eheim and fluval 404 1300lph filters. Is this enough? there are no fish in there atm but i will be rectifying that soon.

i recollect reading that the filtration should turn over the tanks volume at least three times per hour so i am above that.

but i was thinking of perhaps another filter to help keep the tank nice and clean?

i was looking at the ageofaquariums site and there are some filters that are really quite cheap for their output levels. even if i do not need the extra filtration the added water movement would surely be beneficial?

what do you guys/gals think??

thanks in advance

Chris

Three times is a good turn over rate for a tank to aim for. People expectations on the appropriate level of filtration vary. I generally aim for at least 5 times the capacity of the tank but this depends on the type and the number of cichlids in the tank. The species of cichlid influences the dietary requirements and thus the waste output of the fish. Some cichlids i.e. oscars are very messy eaters so greater filtration is required whilst others cichlids are very clean eaters. What type of fish are you aiming to stock?

Hi ged thanks for the advice thumb.gif

I was looking at getive some natives ( a few arhcers, unsure of tankmates i would get tho, perhaps sooty or coal grunter?) but have been undecided due to my short attention span laugh.gif i wouldnt mind some bigger predatory(sp) africans like livingstonii or dimi comps (have a squiz my other recent post and my q's about plants and these fish). also would love to have a nice big colony of tropheus in there.

thanks ged

Chris

G'day

If you do not overstock your tank then this amount of filtration is sufficient.

If you are thinking of tropheus then perhaps a little more would be beneficial.

PS. A trickle filter is the go with tropheus. Having said that I also have colonies in with simple efficient side drop filters blink.gif

I think anything over 6 x an hour is excessive (rather than minimum) unless the fish you keep are known to love fast moving water. I aim for 4-5 x an hour and i generally only stock a tank fairly lightly.

Anthony

Archived