Do i keep the Hongi mothers in main tank to spit?

sab

Do I catch the Female Hongis or leave in the main tank to spit?  

16 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

After a few answers in my tank post about the holding Hongi Island females, I thought I should put a poll together for further feedback!

Any suggestions would be great too - these are my first two mouthfuls! :blink Very exciting! The females are probably a few days apart/along.

I think they are around 7 to 8 days of holding along/progression (maybe a little longer?). Its a little hard to determine when they stoppped eating and the buccal cavity started to enlarge!

Any further tips would be great too as I would love to see the little ones survive OK!

thanks!

Hi Sab

I've had a lot of success with my Hongi in floating fry savers. I like to put a length of the ag pipe in there, it floats and gives them somewhere to hide, and it won't roll and squash any babies. I also like to put in a small handful of java moss.

Catch them some time in the next week or so. Hongi are tenacious holders, you shouldn't have too much trouble with them.

Then just let them spit when they are ready.

Hongi fry are vigourous and grow quickly.

Hope this helps, any more questions just ask! :^:

Sab, the answers that Fiona have given to you are excelent.

I would suggest that when making your Fry-saver, if in fact you do make it yourself, try using a catering size ice-cream/salad tubs. With the right amount of foam floatation you can have rocks as well as java-moss and that sort of stuff.

HTH

I've had babies sucked through the mesh into hungry fish mouths ... ice cream containers are safer ... I wouldn't put rocks in there. They might move and squash babies, also in an enclosed space they might scrape the fish. Of course, YMMV. The ag pipe (the black holey pipe) floaty is the best thing I've found so far, it doesn't weight it down, gives her somewhere to hide, keeps her more peaceful.

great information! thanks heaps! So much to learn!

I think i will try catching them late this week, early next week and pop them in a large ice cream container with an air stone on low, and float them in the main tank (with the same water of course!).

Are both the mothers OK in the one container or should I eat more ice cream (LOL!) and use two containers?

The aggy pipe sounds a great idea too! Im sure the mums would like somewhere to hide to feel safe! I have some java moss in another tank that I can use too.

I'm very much looking forward to this first brood! :unsure I will take heaps of pics!

If anyone else has anything to add... please feel free! You can never have enough info!

I will keep everyone posted on the progress! The Hongis are a great fish - just love their colours and personalities! But then again so are the cobalt blues, electric yellows and the electric blue! LOL! :D

thanks heaps again!

• 2 weeks later...

ok... an update!

Tried catching the two female hongis. It is damn impossible and didn't want to remove all the rockwork. I must have spent several hours chasing the fish around over the last week and a bit! I even tried it at night but the females chose different rock work to hide under each night!

I even resorted to putting some spirulina pellets in one of the nets in hope they would swim close by when the feeding frenzy began - as they seem to hang around with the others when feeding - probably forgetting they have a mouthful so they can't eat! LOL!

So, I have left them in the main tank to see what happens - one of the females has released her mouthful of fry (about 3 days ago from what I can tell) and started eating again! The other female still has her mouthful. I think she is due to release them any day!

I have seen at least one little brown hongi fry hiding in one of the larger cave areas under rocks out of the way from the larger fish.

Hopefully they will survive OK hidden amongst the smaller crevices of rockwork (what are their chances?). Will they get enough food?

any tips to ensure the fry should survive in the main tank?

thanks!

Archived