Skimming Fresh Water

JonFishin

Hey guys

I recently have converted one of my tanks back to fresh from salt water. It is a 6x18x18 and the filtration is an A.K.S bioskim.

I spent around $350 on this filter, it is basicaly an acrylic hang on box, with a built in protein skimmer on one side, and the other side is full of bioballs......hang on just found a pic.

http://www.aks.net.au/bioskim2000.html

Mine is the one on the bottom TB1 "The Big One"

So now that we know what we're dealing with here, back to the question. Do you guys think I could keep this same filtration. Would the water be heavy enough to carry the protein up through the bubbles or do you think I would just be collecting foam? Would it make a difference once the rift lake salts have been added?

Just looking for someone to bounce this idea off, let me know what you guys think. If it works I think it could prove to be very handy!

I might even email AKS and ask them what they think.....

Thanks guys

Jon

This question ahs been asked time and time again with diff answers. I dont know the answer though I have been tempted to do a diy skimmer and see if it works.

There's a guy called Bob Fenner who wrote a good book called "the conscientious marine aquarium" and has a site www.wetwebmedia.com Persuing that one time I'm sure I read him stating that skimmers will work in freshwater, but i dont think he explained why.....

I thought the skimmer worked well in salt due to the fine bubbles being produced, as much as the water itself. If you can get fine bubbles and give enough contact time, then i would expect it to work somewhat...

Skimmers can work in fresh water, but I doubt very much if the one you are talking about will do anything at all in fresh water. I have made a skimmer before on a smallish bass grow out tank (5000 litres), and it was 6 feet tall, and was run of a 1/4 hp blower. So yes, skimmers do work, but you need very large ones, and lots and lots and lots of air.

Thanks for that guys, and I'll take your word for it Matthew_S, biggrin.gif

So if it will not cause any harm I think I might give it a go.

Not a big fan of the ol' bioskim matt? As you can tell, I wasn't too far into Salt Water, couldn't afford all the big gear, hence the reason I am now back to another cichlid tank!

Thanks again!

Jon

No, I dont really have anything against the bioskim, they are quite good at what they are designed for, but with the small size of the skimmer unit, they wouldnt have a chance of pulling anything out of fresh water. Some of the larger models might have a chance if you beefed up the air input, but not the unit you have.

Archived