feeding fish frozen bait?

stripes

I asked a bait shop this one time and he said their stuff was treated with somehting and didnt recomend feeding aquarium fish this stuff. You can use frozen prawns and the like. There is a reason you dont use certain "fresh" prawns though, cos their apparently sprayed with formalin so that they dont lose colour when their being sold. I've used frozen prawns from the supermarket with no probs

If there is a trawler wharf near any of you, try going down and asking them for any bits left on the deck, it's all little prawns and fish, i've even gotten there quick enough to still get about 1/2kg of live prawns picked up off 21 trawlers, cost = $0.

I used to work in a bait shop and we never used any chemicals in the prawns.

However I usually just buy a couple of schoolies from my local fish shop, chop them up and freeze them.

One of my mates uses whitebait for his mangrove Jack.

Mick

The only thing to look out for is cellular degradation in frozen or cooked material, as well as mineral / trace element loss. Face it, a fresh steak (ie kill the cow on Wednesday, bleed and age it until Saturday and then cut the steaks and cook immediately) will taste heaps better than the stuff you get at the supermarket (chilled sometimes, frozen mostly).

Frozen is not so good as fresh feed, but am sure it's at least on par with the processed pellets and the like.

I would be worried about boiling etc as there are chemical byproducts of cooking that are not usually encountered by fish. Maybe one of the medicos / scientists in the forum could shed more light on this?

Cheers - OziOscar.

Just out of curiosity, do people peel their fishes prawns or just chuck em in? also do they feed them the head?

I usually chop them up (I have grunter with a small mouth) and feed it everything, shell, head, etc.

Mick

• 4 weeks later...

Peeled prawns are pretty dangerous. I lost four Angel fish within half hour of feeding peeled prawns.

I have used frozen Chinese white bait and Australian bait fish without any problem.

Has anyone used fresh Dog/Cat food. These are made from roo meat and beef kidney. I remove any visible fat and fibrous tissue, add vitamin supplements and calcium before feeding to turtles and arrowana. They love it.

Archived