filters

Barca888

Hi I am getting an external canister filter for my 5fter and was wondering if anyone has got anything to say on these brand names.

Jebo

Pegaso

Resun

I was thinking the pegaso 3 1200 lph but it does not come with the filter media. Is this stuff easily acquired at the lfs?

Thanks peter

Dunno know about these filters... I have Fluval 303 (old round one) and Aqua Via 650.

I have been very happy with the Aqua Via.

Also... all the media can be bought individually and your LFS should have a supply to fill you canister baskets.

In all I have a bout eight different brands of cannisters. I find the Pegaso the noisiest. The slightest bit of debris in the impellor causes vibration. I am not happy with the way the hoses attach. They just push in with no secure locking mechanism. It can also be difficult to get the unit to seal after a maintenance. I only keep it as a spare and would not run it all the time from choice.

IMHO priming systems are useless. Just fill the cannister with water and if you have left your hoses full when you remove it to clean you will have no problems restarting. If not take the outlet out of the tank and start a syphon through the filter. When it is running start the filter for a few seconds to get rid of all air, stop and place outlet in tank.

Hi

Eheim is a bit more expensive compare to others, but is well worth every cents.

I currently have a eheim 2215 running with a internal eheim 2008 in a 3ft salt water tank, it keeps my water nice and clean.

Before that i kept frontosa in the 3ft until they needed a bigger tank and never have any problem with the filter.

You choice depends on you budget. Eheim have a great reputation. I'll not bother to rave on how good their stuff is as everyone else will.

I have a Resun 808, 1500 lph. Probably the size for your tank.

Pros:

• It's very quiet
  • It came with all media, coarse block, floss, ceramic noodles, bioballs
  • It was really cheap
  • The basket system is quite good
  • It seems to work
Cons:
  • The plumbing was awfull. The plastic piping was so thick it did not properly lock on the supplied attachments.
  • The spray bar and inlet fittings are utter crap. This did not matter to me as I fabricated my own from commercial piping.n I threw them out.
  • They (resun) have a bad reputation. I recently got a power head with a stated 1.8M lift and it only had 70cm. Another time I got a in tank canister and it broke in days).

Not only are Eheim the most reliable, they are also the most energy efficient. Eg,

Via Aqua 650 uses 30 watts continuous, equivalent Eheim 2215 uses just 15 watts continuous. This works out to about $15 a year in power savings over most the other brands. Eheim prices are not much more than the others. You should able to pick up 2213 for about $150, 2215 about $195 and 2217 about $250 if you look around, perhaps even cheaper. I don't know why people would bother saving a few bucks on a cheaper brand, when it will cost you more in the long run. Eheim's work out cheaper in the end !

Not only are Eheim the most reliable, they are also the most energy efficient. Eg,

Via Aqua 650 uses 30 watts continuous, equivalent Eheim 2215 uses just 15 watts continuous.

This is because for the same sized tank, the flow rate for the Eheims are lower than for other filters, so they don't need as powerful a motor. There was a thread about filter output some time ago, and as I pointed out then Eheim believes on slower flow for better media contact, some others believe in higher turnover.

I have three of the Resun AE308 now and they're cheap as chips and are quiet and reliable, come with bioballs, ceramics, carbon, coarse and fine filtration foam, decent tap connector as well as ball-spring connectors, full o-ring set and a spare impeller. Good stuff for a low price (around $120). (900 lph throughput, 600 lph filtration). They come with a priming tool, but you would only need that the very first time you fire up. Restarts like a dream after service - power on and off she goes (sometimes need to bleed the lines of air to make sure there's no air in the impeller chamber). Silent. Fully silent.

The weak point is the clips to hold the head onto the chamber. They are plastic and the armature that connects the claw to the chamber is a weak spot. If you buy one, check it all thoroughly and be a bit hard on the clips when you pop them to remove the head and check the trays in the chamber. Better it should fail in the shop than when you get it home.

That said, the Jialu ones on offer at the moment in the Classfieds forum (1500 lph) look more robust in construction.

If I could afford Eheim I would. biggrin.gif

Cheers - OziOscar.

Archived