Substrate: Cleaning (004)

Not much way to avoid using water that I know of. I'd do it over the garden area and then you will get 2 uses out of the water. Put the sand in a fairly deep container, and wash the water through it until it's clean. You could move it to different areas of the garden/lawn as you go.

wait till your due to do your water change.

use the water you remove from your tanks to clean the sand.

I did that getting some fine black gravel clean and ready for a tank. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Hi Addict smile.gif Ummm a concrete mixer is best (easiest ) way to do it wink.gif

If yer on tank water , Go too a friends place with town water smile.gif You could prolly even take something to drink ( wink.gif ) while you watch yer sand clean its-self laugh.giflaugh.gif .. Have fun.

Andy...

Hi,

As already mentioned by Fiona in a separate post, if you plan to use sand as a substrate, and you have fish that disturb this layer or if you do water changes using a gravel syphon which stirs the sand, beware the damage that this can cause some filters.

Those using air powered filtering systems or side drops need not worry but sand is notorious for damaging impellar motors sad.gif .

Cheers

Archived